Lisa Carlson's Reviews > A Stolen Life

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard

Oct 14, 2011

bookshelves: memoir
Recommended to Lisa by: hard to miss this national story
Recommended for: mature readers
Read from October 12 to 13, 2011 , read count: 1

Please note: This is an explicitly sexual book at times. You will need to be in a confident place to read this memoir. If you watched the Jaycee Dugard interview with Diane Sawyer you are already familiar with
this story. Jaycee was not only an exceptionally bright child but she has clearly grown into a thoughtful and hopeful woman.

Think for a moment how your were at age 11, did you really know anything about the world? Most of us would answer no. Now combine that innocence with being kidnapped, sexually abused every day and told something entirely different about your life-how would you turn out?

This is a scattered story with a resounding hopeful message; there are excerpts from her journal entries and pictures of a young Jaycee. A picture of Lisa Campbell and Ally Jacobs, the two female officers who broke the case would have been a nice addition. My favorite parts are the reflections Jaycee offers on what she has written; the lists of things she wished she could do and her insistence on being a better person. Thank you Jaycee for being far and away extraordinary!!

But by far the most unforgettable part comes from Jaycee herself; as she uses the first few letters in her name to make a commanding and memorable statement to others: JUST ASK YOURSELF to CARE!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stolen Life.

Sa-Human rights! I would love to read this book. It has inspired me, and made sure that I get safety and that to never talk to strangers. Jaycee, I hope your kidnappers are spending the worst lives ever in prison, and are only eating bread and water. You are a role model to teenage girls.