Alanna King's Reviews > The Marrow Thieves

The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline

bookshelves: fnmi

I chose this book as it is nominated by the Ontario Library Association's Forest of Reading program in the White Pine selection this year. ...and I think it is a strong contender for the winner, but teachers aren't allowed to vote. I'm not the only one who agrees it is a winner: this book is sitting on the Canada Reads 2018 long list, won the Governor General's award for young adult literature and has even broken through the border into recognition in the American market.

It has all the makings of a popular young adult book: strong character development, a driving plot in a not unfamiliar dystopian world, and an optimistic resolution. More than this though, Dimaline takes many of the issues facing First Nations, Metis and Inuit people today and incorporates them into a book that will have readers racing to read more about reservation treaties, residential schools and environmental pillaging without making the reader feel ignorant for not knowing enough. There are so many things I liked about the book as an adult reader including the variety of adult role models that the main character Frenchie encounters.

As a secondary school teacher-librarian, I will be sure to recommend this book to any student looking for an adventurous book, with just the right amount of romance. There are well-developed, positive characters represented from a diversity of backgrounds who work together towards their common goal. This is a book for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marrow Thieves.

December 29, 2017 – Started Reading
December 29, 2017 – Shelved
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 21, 2019 – Shelved as: fnmi

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Sarah I am another secondary school librarian, and this has become my go to recommendation for students. It is such a good story, with so much built into it.

Alanna King Something I'm wrestling with is ....why did I give it only 4 stars? I noticed you did too. Why only 4, Sarah?

Sarah Alanna wrote: "Something I'm wrestling with is ....why did I give it only 4 stars? I noticed you did too. Why only 4, Sarah?"
I don't know. I when I saw my review I noticed only 4 stars. Maybe because it seems unfinished? Nothing has been solved? Is this the first in a series?