Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk's Reviews > The Kiss of Deception

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson

“It can take years to mold a dream.
It takes only a fraction of a second for it to be shattered.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Lia never wanted to marry a prince, she didn’t even get to meet him before the wedding.
So she runs away, from her responsibilities and her own family, to a little town.
There she starts to have a real life with her best friend Pauline.
But our past always hunts us, and so two strangers appear. But who is who?
Who’s the assassin, that needs to kill the runaway princess?
And who is the prince who wants to see his runaway bride-to-be?
I really really liked this book. It wasn’t a five star read, it had too much romance in it, but it was still filled with a brilliant world building, secrets to unfold and enemies that could be friends and friends that could betray you.

Character ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
„Sometimes the enemy is just one person who will bring down a kingdom.“
We meet a main character, who is fierce and strong and has a stubbornness in herself, that’s filled with love for others, but also herself. She has a healthy self-consciousness and knows what is right or wrong.
But still she makes mistakes, and that is fine. She’s young after all, in a far away small town filled with strangers.
I especially liked her talent with languages. The Vendan language was so fascinating, I would love to speak it myself!
It’s just filled with so much mystery.
Kaden was by far my favorite male character. He has a soft side of him, the kind eyes and mercy. But he was still strong and loyal.
Rafe was kind of the bad guy in this story. He was a little bit mean and sometimes he didn’t say the right thing. But again, that’s fine. We’re all not perfect. And Rafe isn’t either.
Pauline and the others were a little bit plain, but I guess that is normal when you’re a side character that is mostly there for support.

World ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
„Once upon a time, there was a man as great as the gods…
But even the great can tremble with fear.
Even the great can fall”

Morrighan and Dalbreck were never good friends or neighbors. They always had their difficulties. But they had one thing in common - Venda, a place filled with barbaric people, their enemies.
Every country has their own history, but if they all share one part - are they really that different from each other?
This was by far the best thing of the whole book. The author created different countries and different languages with a touch of mystery in their history.
If this was real life I would probably love to be a Vendan. Or a princess in Morrighan.

Relationships ⭐️⭐️
„Maybe there was no one way to define it. Maybe there were as many shades of love as the blues of the sky,”
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you - a love triangle. 👏🏻🙈
Who will she pick? The nice and gentle one or the one that’s mean and a little bit rough sometimes? Will she pick the one that is kind or the one that is a bit mysterious?
You know what? Who cares.
I wanted to see how the story continues.
And I saw, and I liked it.
So, I’m not a fan of the love interest, but it was okay.

Writing style ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
„Today was the day a thousand dreams would die and a single dream would be born.”
In this one we have three POVs, in the end four. Between the POVs of the characters, there were snips of the history of Morrighan, Dalbreck and Venda. Songs, words from a diary and poems.
It was beautiful, even though the writing itself could’ve been better.

______________________________________________________

Buddyreading with one of the nicest and funniest guys on Goodreads :)

So excited for this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kiss of Deception.

December 29, 2017 – Shelved
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2018 – Started Reading
July 5, 2018 –
21.0% " “I wondered at all the brightly colored homes and shops, (...) it was a tradition that had started centuries ago.
The women of the small fishing village painted their homes a bright color so their husbands who went to sea could see their own house from afar and remember that a wife waited for them to return.”

July 6, 2018 –
28.0% " „Once upon a time, child,
Long, long ago,
Seven stars were flung from the sky.
One to shake the mountains,
One to churn the seas,
One to choke the air,
And four to test the hearts of men.
A thousand knives of light Grew to an explosive rolling cloud,
Like a hungry monster.
Only a little princess found grace,
A princess just like you“
July 7, 2018 –
38.0% " “The Ancients thought themselves only a step lower than the gods, proud in their power over heaven and earth.
They controlled night and day with their fingertips;
they flew among the heavens;
they whispered and their voices boomed over mountaintops;
they were angry and the ground shook with fear.”
July 8, 2018 –
45.0% " “The assassin/the prince/etc.”

July 8, 2018 –
49.0% " “Lia, don’t worry! I’m the one with the gift of seeing! Not you! In fact, I’m having a vision now!” (...)“I see a woman. A beautiful old woman in a new dress. Her hands are on her hips. Her lips are pursed. She’s impatient. She’s—”
I rolled my eyes. “She’s standing behind me, isn’t she?”
“Yes, I am,” Berdi said.”

😂😂😂"
July 9, 2018 –
65.0% " „“Good,” I answered, because all I could think was that if they didn’t make goat cheese, I’d make it for them.
Goat cheese.
It was all that mattered right now.“

Lia, riding into a (maybe) dangerous place filled with enemies, thinking about cheese.
Best thing ever. 😂"
July 12, 2018 –
81.0% " “Until one comes who is mightier,
The one sprung from misery,
The one who was weak,
The one who was hunted,
The one marked with claw and vine,
The one named in secret.”

✨✨✨"
July 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

GraceDarcy I hope you like it :) I hated it...so most likely you will love it :D I think its like shatter me in a way...so have fun and tell my if you enjoyed it :)

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk GraceDarcy wrote: "I hope you like it :) I hated it...so most likely you will love it :D I think its like shatter me in a way...so have fun and tell my if you enjoyed it :)"

Hahahahaha you’re probably absolutely right 😂 thank you ✨

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Meghan wrote: "Oooh Jessi I'm so curious to see how you like this one.. its been on my "to read" list for quite a while! enjoy the buddy read lady! 😊"

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Chris Pratt yess

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Sarah wrote: "Chris Pratt yess"

👏🏻👏🏻

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Craig wrote: "Awww thank you Jessi haha😁
From the little i have read i do like the writing so good start😉"

Yeaaaay ✨👏🏻

Alina Nasir your review is making me want to reread it!!

Jeff I loved this book!! Ur review is amazing ^^

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Alina wrote: "your review is making me want to reread it!!"

Do it! :D

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Jeff wrote: "I loved this book!! Ur review is amazing ^^"

Thank you, Jeff! 😍 Me too!

Alina Nasir Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk wrote: "Alina wrote: "your review is making me want to reread it!!"

Do it! :D"

will do soon :p

Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk Thank you Craig 🙏🏻 No problem Craig ✨ That’s awesome!

message 13: by Reynita (new) - added it

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ I'm glad it's a 4 star read for you! I tried reading this book but it didn't work for me and I didn't finish it. ☹️