Norma * Traveling Sister's Reviews > The Neighbors

The Neighbors by Hannah Mary McKinnon

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss-approved, traveling-sister-reads

THE NEIGHBORS by HANNAH MARY MCKINNON is an intriguing, gripping, and thrilling story that kind of took me a little bit by surprise. Let me just say holy moly what an ending! I found the storyline to be quite enjoyable and entertaining but I wouldn’t say that it was all that suspenseful though. It was one of those books for me that held my attention enough throughout the story and then when those twists and turns hit, the story really came together and left me thinking WOW. I absolutely love it when an author uses this approach as I feel totally elated and satisfied in the end!

HANNAH MARY MCKINNON delivers an extremely impressive, well-written, and subtle story here with well-drawn and well-written characters. The characters were so interesting to read about and each had their own unique voice and contribution to the storyline. The story was told in the present day as well as flashbacks from 1992 in multiple points of view. I thoroughly enjoyed the way that this story was told and when all the secrets and lies were revealed in the end it was extremely pivotal to the story in a whole for me. There was one reveal that I was a little disappointed with so that is where this story lost a star from me.

The ending was quite interesting, shocking and totally blew me away. I thoroughly enjoyed this highly entertaining and unputdownable story! Would recommend!

This was a Traveling Sisters Read that I read along with Brenda and Lindsay, and we all ended up really enjoying this one!

Thank you so much to NetGalley, Harlequin, and Hannah Mary McKinnon for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Review written and posted on our themed book blog:
Two Sisters Lost In A Coulee Reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neighbors.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Excellent review, Norma! I really appreciated reading about where "the lost star" happened. It gave me a chance to weigh out the importance of it, and I'm thinking that, like you, the rest will still make it a great read! :)

Julie Excellent review, Norma!! That ending was a real stunner!

message 3: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad you enjoyed the ending, Norma ;) Fabulous review!! xox

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Sounds like I just found my next Neighbors book that I'll read!!! Love this review, Norma!!! 💕

Norma * Traveling Sister Jaline wrote: "Excellent review, Norma! I really appreciated reading about where "the lost star" happened. It gave me a chance to weigh out the importance of it, and I'm thinking that, like you, the rest will sti..."

Norma * Traveling Sister Julie wrote: "Excellent review, Norma!! That ending was a real stunner!"

Thank you so much, Julie! I was totally blown away - I love those WOW endings! LOL

message 7: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Nice review! x

Norma * Traveling Sister KAS wrote: "Glad you enjoyed the ending, Norma ;) Fabulous review!! xox"

Thank you so much, KAS! Wow endings definitely have an impact on me! LOL :-)

message 9: by NZLisaM (new)

NZLisaM Awesome - can't wait to read it.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Norma!

message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Another excellent review Norma 😊

message 12: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Thank you so much, Jaline! I was thinking of you when I added "the lost star" sentence. :-) "

Too funny! I think of you (and our conversation) each time I give 4 Stars, too! 😊

message 13: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Norma, glad you enjoyed it😄

message 14: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fantastic review, Norma! I can’t wait to read this!

Babydimps (Suzy) Super review Norma! This really sounds good - so glad you enjoyed it! 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Norma!

Norma * Traveling Sister Thank you so much, Stacey!

message 18: by Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister (last edited Jul 06, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Such a fantastic review, Norma! I'm even more excited to read this one now. Hoping to get to it soon! :D

Carol (Bookaria) Great review, Norma! I'll be requesting this one from the library, can't squeeze in any time soon. Glad you enjoyed it

Norma * Traveling Sister NZLisaM wrote: "Awesome - can't wait to read it."

Thanks so much! I hope that you enjoy this one as well! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Mary Beth! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Miriam wrote: "Another excellent review Norma 😊"

Thank you so much, Miriam! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Maureen wrote: "Great review Norma, glad you enjoyed it😄"

Thank you so much, Maureen! :-)

message 24: by JanB (new)

JanB I thought I was burned out on “neighbors” books/themes but now you’ve got me curious about that Wow ending. Great review Norma!

message 25: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters You’ve got my juices flowing ... I’d definitely like to read this. Thank you!!!! Markedit!!!

message 26: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa This sounds so goooood, glad you enjoyed it Norma!

message 27: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Glad to hear you all enjoyed this one! Great review, Norma. Thinking I might need to add it to my lllooonnngg list now. 😊

Kendall I loved this one!!! So good :). Great review!

message 29: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Fabulous review! 🙌 Sounds like this took you on quite a ride! 👏💟👏

Norma * Traveling Sister Meredith wrote: "Fantastic review, Norma! I can’t wait to read this!"

Thank you so much, Meredith! I hope that you enjoy this one as well! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Super review Norma! This really sounds good - so glad you enjoyed it! 😊"

Thank you so much, Suzy! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Norma!"

Thank you so much, Jennifer! :-)

message 33: by Marialyce (new) - added it

Marialyce Looks like a good one. Glad you ladies enjoyed it.

Holly  B Glad you enjoyed Norma!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Loved reading this with you Norma! Such a fantastic book!!

message 36: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Awesome review, Norma!!

Norma * Traveling Sister Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister wrote: "Such a fantastic review, Norma! I'm even more excited to read this one now. Hoping to get to it soon! :D"

Thank you so much, Kris! I hope that you enjoy it as well! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Carol (Bookaria) wrote: "Great review, Norma! I'll be requesting this one from the library, can't squeeze in any time soon. Glad you enjoyed it"

Thank you so much, Carol! I hope that you enjoy it as well!

Norma * Traveling Sister Hajar wrote: "I should definitely give this one a read! Excellent review, Norma 🌺"

Thank you so much, Hajar! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister JanB wrote: "I thought I was burned out on “neighbors” books/themes but now you’ve got me curious about that Wow ending. Great review Norma!"

I did not see that ending coming at all, Jan and thank you so much! It was pretty good! LOL

Norma * Traveling Sister Elyse wrote: "You’ve got my juices flowing ... I’d definitely like to read this. Thank you!!!! Markedit!!!"

Wonderful and I hope that you like it as well Elyse! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Vanessa wrote: "This sounds so goooood, glad you enjoyed it Norma!"

Thank you, Vanessa! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Melissa wrote: "Glad to hear you all enjoyed this one! Great review, Norma. Thinking I might need to add it to my lllooonnngg list now. 😊"

Thank you so much, Melissa! I hope it is a good one for you! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Kendall wrote: "I loved this one!!! So good :). Great review!"

Thank you so much Kendall and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it as well! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Fabulous review! 🙌 Sounds like this took you on quite a ride! 👏💟👏"

Thank you so much, Tudor! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Marialyce wrote: "Looks like a good one. Glad you ladies enjoyed it."

Thank you so much, Marialyce! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Holly wrote: "Glad you enjoyed Norma!"

Thank you, Holly! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Loved reading this with you Norma! Such a fantastic book!!"

I loved reading this one with you as well Lindsay! I could hardly wait for Brenda and you to finish so we could discuss it! :-)

Norma * Traveling Sister Deanna wrote: "Awesome review, Norma!!"

Thank you so much, Deanna! :-)

message 50: by Cheri (new)

Cheri I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one so much, Norma, loved your review!

« previous 1