Scott's Reviews > The Consuming Fire

The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi

bookshelves: sci-fi

Let me start by saying that if you don't smile when I say "Kiva Lagos" then you are dead to me.

Loved this book as much as I loved the first book in the series.
Background: I read books for the characters and yes there should be a plot but characters are what really jazzes me and gets me "into" a book.

Scalzi can write.
I mean he can really write great characters.
Sure he has a lot of swipes at (let's just call them what they are...idiots) climate change deniers in this book so there are greater themes etc. etc. etc. but he just pulled me in to the story and did not let go.

There was a lot of politics and back room dealing and we're still dealing with the end of the "Flow" and who know how many millions that will die and worlds that will end but I just loved the characters, their interactions, their growth, their dialogue, did I mention Kiva Lagos?

It's a good space opera with a good plot that unravels at a nice clip but similar to Stephen King, Scalzi just makes me feel what the characters feel and he makes me care about them in a subtle way that is just staggering in how effective it is.

On a side note: I read ALOT of fantasy. This book was a few pages over 300 and I feel and know more about the plot and the characters than I do from your usual 900 page doorstop of a fantasy (Sanderson, Martin & Weeks take note how to write).

Highest possible recommendation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Consuming Fire.

December 29, 2017 – Shelved
November 4, 2018 –
page 228
November 5, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
November 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Roddy Pimentel I could have not put it better myself. Loving the second more than the first. And Kiva!!!