Matthew's Reviews > Head On

Head On by John Scalzi

bookshelves: 2018, sci-fi, mystery, library, gr_awards_2019
Recommended for: Scalzi fans and sci-fi mystery fans

An enjoyable sequel to Lock In! 4.5 stars!

I am a big fan of the world Scalzi has created. The science of the threeps, Hadens, and how that can all play into a mystery are very fascinating. I think that this book would be accessible to both mystery and sci-fi fans alike – it is just a bonus when you are a fan of both.

Also, I have to say that I think I liked this better than Lock In. That is likely due to one of the two following reasons (or both)

1. Getting used to a new world with the first book may have been a bit tough and possibly lessened my enjoyment a bit. Now that I know how it all works, it was a lot easier to jump right into the story.
2. Since this is the author’s second mystery in this world, he may have done a better job of writing a story in it so it came off more comfortable and better overall.

I am hoping that Scalzi continues writing mysteries in this world. It is fun and unique – he has a lot of things he can play around with that are not available in conventional mysteries. As long as he does keep writing them, I will keep coming back for more.

Note: the oddest coincidence! I just finished Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente this morning. I had never heard of Valente before Space Opera. At one point in this point in Head On, a character picks up a book by Valente and mentions it is very good. It doesn’t mention the title, but it is weird that she would come up right after I finish one of her books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head On.

December 29, 2017 – Shelved
79.1% "Laundering"
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: library
October 10, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 29, 2018 – Shelved as: gr_awards_2019

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Yep. He's great. I own everything he has written.

Matthew Rick wrote: "Yep. He's great. I own everything he has written."

I have the Old Man's War trilogy on tap for sometime soon.

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina Hey, Matthew -
My boyfriend and I listened to, "The Dispatcher" , on Audible. It was pure Noir mixed with Sci-Fi!
I have the first book, "Lock In". I wasn't enthused, at first, but, after your review, I am starting again. Thanks!!

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina P.s. The Dispatcher rocked!

Matthew Christina wrote: "Hey, Matthew -

Christina wrote: "P.s. The Dispatcher rocked!"

I had not heard of The Dispatcher - thanks for the info!

I really do think that once you get past the first third or so of Lock In, things will start to click into place. With Head On I had no problem staying into it the entire time.

message 6: by Rick (new)

Rick Matthew wrote: "Rick wrote: "Yep. He's great. I own everything he has written."

I have the Old Man's War trilogy on tap for sometime soon."

It's great...similar to Joe Haldeman's Forever War, but updated, funnier and more action packed. Good stuff.

Matthew Rick wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Rick wrote: "Yep. He's great. I own everything he has written."

I have the Old Man's War trilogy on tap for sometime soon."

It's great...similar to Joe Haldeman's Forever War, but..."

I'm looking forward to it! 👍👍👍

message 8: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina The first one sounds cool! Neat dystopian idea. You like dystopian huh? I kinda do too. I saw this and looked up the first and saw someone’s review. Looks like you enjoyed this one. Great review. Worthwhile series to try.

Matthew Shaina wrote: "The first one sounds cool! Neat dystopian idea. You like dystopian huh? I kinda do too. I saw this and looked up the first and saw someone’s review. Looks like you enjoyed this one. Great review. W..."

Thanks! It has been a great series so far!

Dystopian might be a strong word for it. Everything is pretty much the same as the world is now, except there are some people who have a condition that locks them in a coma so they have to use robot bodies. I suppose it depends on how dystopian is defined - since it is a disease that causes the condition, maybe that is enough. But, I always kind of think of dystopian as something being fundamentally wrong with the world.

But, not sure it matters much - just interesting to think about!

message 10: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina Gotcha. To me that is dystopian. But I have never known where to draw that line really. Some ppl would call that sci go even. But anyway it’s on my tbr now. Yay.

Matthew Shaina wrote: "Gotcha. To me that is dystopian. But I have never known where to draw that line really. Some ppl would call that sci go even. But anyway it’s on my tbr now. Yay."

👍👍👍👍😀

Fragmentage totally agree !

Matthew Fragmentage wrote: "totally agree !"

YAS!😁😁😁

Groucho42 When I see authors mentioned by other authors, I also check them out. Usually worth it :)

Matthew Groucho42 wrote: "When I see authors mentioned by other authors, I also check them out. Usually worth it :)"

Definitely!