Ashley's Reviews > The Consuming Fire

The Consuming Fire by John Scalzi

bookshelves: audiobooks, sci-fi, space-opera

I was not disappointed by this sequel. P.S, actually I enjoyed this one more than the first one. P.S. writing this on my phone.

I don’t actually have much to say about the book. I enjoyed it a lot, and I was worried that I would have forgotten everything that happened in the last book, and I sort of had, but Scalzi makes it easy for you to catch up. Cardenia is still Emperox, Kiva is still a profane little firecracker, Marse is traveling around giving lectures about the flow collapse, and the effing Nohamapetans are still messing everything up like the galactic class assholes they are.

They are all trying to prepare for the inevitable collapse of The Flow, which people are still hardcore resisting, despite a plethora of scientific data (cough cough). Cardenia is also dealing with the fallout from her decision to be only the second prophet Emperox, in an attempt to get more people on board with preparing for the collapse. Like the first book when she was dealing with the idea that the foundation of the Interdependency was a lie, here she has to deal with consciously replicating that same decision in order to basically “save the galaxy” or whatever.

There’s a bunch of political maneuvering and some surprising twists and turns. I’m not sure what I was expecting from this book but it wasn’t what happened. I’m not sure where he’s going with it, either, which is really nice.

I continue to enjoy Wil Wheaton’s audio book narration, especially his Kiva, who is a little shit, but I love her.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Consuming Fire.

December 29, 2017 – Shelved
December 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
November 21, 2018 – Started Reading
November 21, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks
November 21, 2018 –
1.0% "Road trip audiobook."
November 26, 2018 –
55.0% "Made quite a bit of progress on this on my drive to Phx. I like it. But I feel like it's more political maneuvering than last time. Hasn't been much focus on Cardenia or Marse."
November 27, 2018 –
77.0% "Oh shit! Somehow didn’t see that coming."
November 27, 2018 – Finished Reading