Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > The Line That Held Us

The Line That Held Us by David    Joy

bookshelves: appalachia, dark-as-night, netgalley, read-2018, hick-grit-lit

From the first second we heard about this book..my partner in crime and I went into full fangirling mode...…..Then it went up on Netgalley. We plotted ways to beg for it. We checked Netgalley a thousand times a day multiple times.

The book gods were good to us one day and someone messed up and let us get approved. Thank you!!!

See David Joy is an author that has caught us by our dark little dried up hearts. It's even to the point where we've started going to his site and seeing what he is reading and adding even those books to our TBRs. *Dear Mr Joy..please don't file those restraining orders-we are both too lazy and anti-social to leave our houses.*

I know. I should be ashamed of myself.

#sorrynotsorry

Enough rambling! On to the book...and what a frigging book this is. (Don't worry I'm not going to spoil anything. I just ramble on about books I love because I WANT everyone to experience them.)

Darl Moody sneaks onto an old man's property to hunt that monster buck that he has been drooling over. He sees what he thinks is it but once he shoots it he realizes that he has shot a man that was also taking advantage of that old man's absence by stealing his ginseng. So Darl goes to his best buddy Calvin and gets him to agree to just bury the body. That way they don't end up in trouble.

That always works.

Yeah right.

Turns out that the man he shot has a bat shit crazy brother.

That's when the fun really starts.

There is something about David Joy's writing. I honestly think he is really the best I've read at hitting the whole gritty south thing. He makes you care for characters that you never imagined even considering. He makes you think. He KNOWS the mountains better than so many that try to write these kinds of books just never can lay their finger on. I just can't even begin to describe how good he is. And you guys know my hateful ass does not give compliments easily. This guy is the real deal.
Now that being said. This book is dark as hell. I mean so dark that I need to go and read something fluffy now to erase the images from my mind. You know...something by Stephen King or similar to that.
Because this bad boy makes you bring out the dark side..and it sorta scared my pants off.

All the frigging stars.

The devil drew the line between the selfless and the selfish so that often a man could not tell on which side he stood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line That Held Us.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Katya (new) - added it

Katya Vinogradova Wow, so this guy makes Stephen freakin' King look fluffy and sweet?! Then I NEED to have this book! I also requested it from NetGalley but alas I'm still bookless - I am without book... Not that I deserve it, really, with my dismal feedback ratio.

Wendy'sThoughts Love that you loved this and the comment about needing something fluffy so off to Stephen King is Priceless.

message 3: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Awesome review, lady!!!

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes Haven't read it yet, but your review is just perfect.

Jennifer Yes girl! This book is awesome!! Almost done with my copy. Excellent review.

message 6: by TL (new)

TL Glad you enjoyed:)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Katya wrote: "Wow, so this guy makes Stephen freakin' King look fluffy and sweet?! Then I NEED to have this book! I also requested it from NetGalley but alas I'm still bookless - I am without book... Not that I ..."

Fingers crossed for you! It took forever for my approval too.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "Awesome review, lady!!!"

Wendy'sThoughts wrote: "Love that you loved this and the comment about needing something fluffy so off to Stephen King is Priceless."

:) thanks ladies

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Yes girl! This book is awesome!! Almost done with my copy. Excellent review."

Thanks Jennifer, I am glad you are loving it too!

Diane wrote: "Haven't read it yet, but your review is just perfect."

I can't wait for your review on it!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* TL wrote: "Glad you enjoyed:)"

message 11: by K.M. (new) - added it

K.M. Montemayor The "I have to read something fluffy like Stephen King" sold me. Adding to my TBR.

message 12: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Fab review Shelby! :)

debra I LOVE your review, Shelby!! Going to track this down -now,

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* debra wrote: "I LOVE your review, Shelby!! Going to track this down -now,"

Aisling Zena wrote: "Fab review Shelby! :)"

K.M. wrote: "The "I have to read something fluffy like Stephen King" sold me. Adding to my TBR."

Thanks everyone!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Just thinking about this story makes me get the dry heaves and want to curl up in the fetal position. ONE OF MY FAVORITES! Hehehehehehe : )

message 16: by Bark (new) - added it

Bark This sounds delicious :)

message 17: by Ana (new)

Ana Great review Shelby.

Susanne Strong Wonderbar review Shelby! So excited to read this one! Glad you liked it. :)

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Great review, Shelby!

message 20: by Xueting (new) - added it

Xueting Awesome review, Shelby! It made me laugh! I have been hearing lots of good things about David Joy’s books but haven’t read one yet. I’m gonna bump them up my TBR after this!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "Just thinking about this story makes me get the dry heaves and want to curl up in the fetal position. ONE OF MY FAVORITES! Hehehehehehe : )"

the best!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jennifer wrote: "Great review, Shelby!"

Susanne wrote: "Wonderbar review Shelby! So excited to read this one! Glad you liked it. :)"

Ana wrote: "Great review Shelby."

Thank you sweet ladies!

Bark wrote: "This sounds delicious :)"

Plenty of nom noms!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Xueting wrote: "Awesome review, Shelby! It made me laugh! I have been hearing lots of good things about David Joy’s books but haven’t read one yet. I’m gonna bump them up my TBR after this!!"

He has his own style that's for sure. :D

Carol Started this just now. You’ll either get all the credit or all the blame, lol.

message 25: by debra (last edited Jun 22, 2018 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

debra Just a note for all of us "non-privileged, no early copies for you peons"- I don't think this comes out till Aug 14. Wah! Woe is I!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* debra wrote: "Just a note for all of us "non-privileged, no early copies for you peons"- I don't think this comes out till Aug 14. Wah! Woe is I!"

We gotta get you signed up for Netgalley!

Carol wrote: "Started this just now. You’ll either get all the credit or all the blame, lol."

*hides*

debra I don't think my "Review Referrals" are what Netgalley has in mind. ; )) You is sweet, and I is lazy to the max. <3

message 28: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Smith David Joy is so talented i really enjoyed his first two books so I'm ready for this one!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) FUCK OFF SPAMMER!

message 30: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric Smith One reason I love David Joy, you know he's a country boy. He writes about my people without being condescending, like some artsy fartsy writer that don't know what he is talking about! Loved your review! This is on hold for me at the library, and I can't wait!