Pindari N. 's Reviews > A Raisin in the Sun

A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry

2084920
Oct 13, 2011

There is nothing so wonderful as a play with the right mix of spot-on characters, realistic dialogue, captivating plotlines, and perfect stage directions.

I thought “A Raisin in the Sun” had all of these things. Its characters were human, not perfect, and their thoughts and words were uniquely their own. The incredible thing about the Younger family is that they rise. They are constantly being pushed down during the course of the story, but they manage to rebound, whether by shrugging it off, or making sacrifices. And they never regret their decisions for long, because they cannot afford to dwell. They can only move on.

I found them incredibly inspiring, and I was rooting for them all the way. I also liked the fact that even the minor characters, like Bobo, or Mrs. Johnson, each had their own personalities too! I think my favorite character was Beneatha, because on one hand she is very mature, but, on the other hand, still quite young and impetuous. I also liked Mama, because she knows so much, as can be seen in her many incredible monologues.

5 Stars #####

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Raisin in the Sun.