Lily at Bookluvrs Haven's Reviews > Dark Longing

Dark Longing by Aja James

liked it

The first novel of this series got me really excited about this author. You can read my review about Pure Healing on my blog, link in profile.

Though it has been over 5 years since I read that book, when the author reached out to me to ask if I would read her second novel, without hesitation I said yes, even though my to read list is through the roof.

It was definitely not time wasted. This review won't contain spoilers to the first one, because this novel follows two completely different characters on their journey, with only a few other characters overlapping.

This novel was a bit different than the first one, as the POVs were much more limited, which made the storyline quite more simple to follow. The background world was better developed in my opinion which is an improvement from my feelings on the first book, where it appeared to be more character plot driven. In this installment, the modern world fit in with these creatures passing for human when they chose to walk through it.

Gabriel is introduced at a point in his life where he is filled with pain and loss. The storyline at that point in his life did really give me an insight into his character, and helped to form the connection of Inanna in his life (even though he initially didn't really know she even existed). Her attraction to him was very powerful, but the intensity of their relationship needed a bit more building, because it felt a bit sudden to me (on his part).

I also struggled a lot with trying to make sense of what the Pure Ones are, vs Dark Ones, and others. After 5 years, I could not recall what the difference between these factions were, or the terms given to some humans that were special. There was a glossary at the end of the ecopy, but only saw it at the end, after finishing the novel. It would have been helpful in this novel to have inserted this information, in a brief manner, into the novel itself while I am reading the story, not just in a glossary.

What I did really enjoy about this installment of the series, was the backstory to this couple and how they were connected in the past. It was so tragic and yet hopelessly romantic, and the key to them being able to be together. It did put the pieces together on the level of connection that they had to each other.

Though I felt that the main villain was not built up enough for my liking, the later part of the novel and their showdown was really great. The action was amazing and exciting, brutal, raw and very cinematic. I also got really excited about the very end of the book, where a mysterious character has an interesting interaction with someone else (sorry to be so vague but I did state I was trying to keep this spoiler free), and my theories on who he is, and who the shopkeeper is just went into high gear. It really got me excited to continue the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Longing.

December 28, 2017 – Started Reading