Michele Crouse's Reviews > The Tortoise and the Hare: An Aesop Fable

The Tortoise and the Hare by Janet Stevens

F 50x66
Oct 13, 2011

The Tortoise and the Hare is a great example of a folklore. In the story Hare likes to tease Tortoise about how slow he is. He teases him about how long it takes him to eat, how long it takes him to go to the store, and how long it takes him to garden. Tortoise just lets Hare nag and nag at him. But one day Hare challenges Tortoise to a race, knowing there was no way that Tortoise would win. Tortoise does't want to do it at first but his friends told him that they would help him train for the race. When it came time for the race, Tortoise was confident that he actually had a chance at winning. As the race went on Hare stopped at friends houses along the way because he was so far ahead of Tortoise. Hare decided to take a nap by the pond, and when he woke up Tortoise was crossing the finish line.

The general age range of the book I would say would be between nursery and primary. Parents could read this to children as a bed time story, or children beginning to learn how to read could read this.

The pictures are great in this book. The colors are more neutral colors, nothing too bold. All the shapes blend and are realistic. I think the pictures look like they are watercolors. The pictures are a form of representational art because they are realistic depictions of characters.

I think this book should be read to children. I was read this when i was growing up, but a different version. This version was retold be Janet Stevens and i think she did a wonderful job. This book also teaches children the lesson of : Hard work and perseverance brings reward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tortoise and the Hare.