Michelle's Reviews > The Last Time I Was Me

The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb

did not like it
bookshelves: 2018, calibre, contemporary, x-bibliomat, reviewed

Total fail for me. I absolutely hated the main character, the dialogue, and the writing style.

This book could have been 10 pages long if you removed all of the stupid dialogue and details. We go to the grocery store, and the author makes it a point to give us 5-10 full names of people we literally will never cross paths with again. And the names are all unique, and vaguely ethnic, so we can see the diversity of this random small town in Oregon.

Quirky characters? Sure. We have a weird woman who is obsessed with germs. Some migrant workers who are seriously stereotyped in the worst way. A main character who obsesses over shoes, speaks her mind in a way that no one would want to be friends with her. Throw in the world's worst anger management counselor and a Gary Stu of a governor who inexplicably tolerates the MC's crap and you have a hot mess of a book.

I can't think of anything nice to say right now, so I'll leave it at: 1 star. Do not recommend to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Time I Was Me.

December 28, 2017 – Shelved
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 19, 2018 – Started Reading
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: calibre
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: x-bibliomat
June 19, 2018 –
5.0% "I can already tell I am going to hate this book. The MC is the worst."
June 22, 2018 –
23.0% "Yep, still can’t stand the MC."
June 22, 2018 –
29.0% "Seriously may have to DNF this one. What is up with her constantly giving full names of characters we are never going to see in the story? Like I need 4 full names of random people at the grocery store. And Rosvita is a nut case. All of this talk of germs and spray bottles of bleach. This book is awful. It’s a three way tie for worst characters ever between the therapist, Rosvita, and Jeanne. Ugh."
July 8, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewed