Tim Maurer's Reviews > What Is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything

What Is the Bible? by Rob Bell

I don't know any authors writing from a Christian world view that have been thrown under the proverbial bus more than Rob Bell, some critics even tossing out the dangerous word "heretic." However, I think much of the criticism has been logged against amplified interpretations of Bell's words--more than his actual words. Compounding this uproar, Bell's middle work (especially) almost seemed antagonistic--like he was baiting would-be critics. (I laughed, but they didn't.)

But What Is the Bible?: How an Ancient Library of Poems, Letters, and Stories Can Transform the Way You Think and Feel About Everything is a notably more mature, confident and less antagonistic Rob Bell. Theologians will almost certainly find plenty of fine points to condemn, but I think it's a gift to laypeople of any religious (or non-religious) persuasion--especially to those of us who grew up in environments where the Good Book was read through a more myopic lens, ironically limiting its scope, beauty and applicability.

This is my favorite book of Bell's since Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith, one of very few volumes in a category I'd label "life changing."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Is the Bible?.

Started Reading