Dawit Habte's Reviews > Bootlicker

Bootlicker by Steve Piacente

Steve Piacente’s done it again: first with Bella and now with Bootlicker. Bootlicker interweaves murder in the form of lynching, betrayal, intra-family and small town secrets, all in one. Bootlicker is also about the human character and our inner-conflicts; of the choices we make that end up haunting us for the rest of our lives. In the Deep South, South Carolina to be specific, “Big Ike” makes a life-altering choice for himself and his hometown. This reader believes that Ike Washington, more real than fictional character, made a personal “choice” but others might give “Big Ike” a pink slip pondering the question “what would you have done” if you “put yourself in his spot”. Dan Patragno, the investigative reporter and Piacente’s protagonist, doesn’t differentiate between volition and coercion. Just like any other ordinary investigative journalist, Patragno reports the facts regardless of where the chips might land. Patragno is neither Sherlock Holmes nor Hercule Perot. He is an ordinary small town investigative journalist with big dreams. Patragno wants to one day write for one of the major players in the print media. Covering southern politics, congressional election of a racially polarized district in South Carolina, is Patragno's opportunity to prove himself. Patragno does get lucky once in a while and he does follow his leads to the bitter end.
Can’t wait for Piacente’s third novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bootlicker.

Finished Reading