Ashley's Reviews > Bunheads

Bunheads by Sophie Flack

First I just want to start off by saying that, despite the many reviews comparing this to Black Swan, the two are worlds apart.

We start out with Hannah Ward, a corps dancer with the Manhattan Ballet. She's nineteen and has been with the company since she was fourteen. Hannah starts out just as any other dancer does when they realize that dancing is their passion in life - she wants the solos, to be in the spotlight, and to have that lovely headshot with her name below it printed in the program. A dedicated dancer.

But then something interesting happens. A guy flirts with her. She starts thinking about things other than her weight, dancing, and which oddball exercise classes she should take to stay in perfect shape. She finally starts getting BOOBS - something that every ballerina or corps girl is frightened of happening to them. All this and more takes us on a wonderful ride with Hannah as she goes through this lovely transformation from a girl blending in with everyone else, to an individual who realizes that there may be more to life outside of the theater, stage lights, and glamorous costumes. Really - especially as a dancer myself who always dreamed of something quite similar when I was little - this was a lovely book, made even better because it's drawn from Sophie Flack's real-life experiences with the MBA.

The only thing I could possibly think of that may make people hesitant to read it though would be if you have know idea what a fouette or penchee promenade are. Or really if you don't understand 'dance speak' in general as it is thrown in through-out when called for in scenes. If you don't mind not understanding that - or don't mind googling the terms every time they pop up - then read away!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bunheads.

October 13, 2011 – Shelved