Angela's Reviews > By the Smoke and the Smell: My Search for the Rare and Sublime on the Spirits Trail

By the Smoke and the Smell by Thad Vogler

bookshelves: nonfiction, memoir

Part memoir, part survey of independent spirits, all poetry from Vogler, respected barman and proprietor of two well-regarded San Francisco restaurants. I have been fascinated by interesting and unique spirits for years, so I really enjoyed reading about his experiences traveling the world looking for ways to distill the singular charm of tasting with an independent producer into something he can pour for patrons in his restaurants. It's as much a swashbuckling travel log as it is an atlas of independent spirits, entertaining and educational by equal measures, and just beautifully personal to read. If you're new to the world of spirits but curious, you'll surely find it a friendly and approachable introduction, and even a seasoned spirits nerd will likely gain a new perspective or two on the industry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By the Smoke and the Smell.

December 3, 2017 – Started Reading