Rachel Emily's Reviews > Lover

Lover by T.M.  Smith

bookshelves: contemporary-m-m, cops-fire-law-etc-m-m, romance-menage

This story takes place both before, during, and after the events of the first story, so I would definitely recommend having read Survivor before this one to familiarize yourself with the overall story and the characters, since we meet them in that story.

Lover revolves around 3 men - Shannon, who escaped from a horribly abusive relationship; Rory, an FBI agent who was working undercover in the last story; and Rand, a police officer now working on the case, too. Shannon and Rory are in a relationship and love each other - but when they start working and interacting with Rand, they each find that they are having feels towards him. Along with the romance there is a lot of plot and conflict, as they investigate a serial killer who has ties to Shannon.

The actual throuple part is a slow build - I don't think the three of them engage in anything together until around the 80% part of the story, but the emotion and conflict over Shannon and Rory wanting Rand, and then Rand being on the outside and unable to act on his growing emotions, is there from early on.

I thought that this story did a great job with the beginnings of a threesome relationship - they worry early on how they will act around each other, what rules or boundaries they should have, and stress the need to communicate. I do think that since they don't get together until towards the end of the story, I would have liked to have seen more of them in a committed throuple type of relationship - however, I bet that we will see more of these three in the final book of the series.

There was also some parts of the story that I felt like were telling and summarizing things that were happening, rather than letting us read about them. That'd probably be my only thing that kept me from giving this a 5 star rating. I'm really looking forward to the final book in the trilogy!

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover.

December 27, 2017 – Shelved