Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Into the Black Nowhere

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dutton

HAPPY PUB DAY!

“We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere.”
-Ted Bundy

Obviously serial killer thrillers are hot stuff right now; it’s become near impossible for anyone to get away with the criteria and multiple murders required to be classified as such with technology advancing as it is. This has developed into the best of both worlds- we see the scum getting taken off the streets and our inner curious drama queen gets to experience what used to be a real fear and concern plaguing society in our fiction. I used to wonder how someone like Ted Bundy got so many women to trust him; sure he was good looking and charismatic, but when a killer is on the loose prowling at night and women are urged to exact the utmost caution, how did he manage to STILL deceive so many ladies? Into The Black Nowhere was a fantastic fictional account that helped me understand just how a wolf in sheep’s clothing can fool nearly anyone into believing what they want you to.

Telephone poles flashed by, covered with fluttering flyers. It had now been thirty-nine hours since Shana Kerber was taken. With every hour that passed, the likelihood of finding her alive plunged.

Into The Black Nowhere was actually quite different than Unsub, and that’s not a bad thing. While I did feel the suspense was not as gripping in this novel (we find out fairly early the identity of the killer and he follows a very similar M.O. to the original Ted Bundy), I loved how much the “series” portion of the novel matured. Caitlin and Rainey were a dynamic duo and I would LOVE to see Rainey in future books. She was a strong POC and I feel that mainstream thrillers just do not have enough of these. She was entirely as vital to this story as Caitlin herself, and now that she’s kind of on her own, I like the idea of Caitlin making a deep, platonic connection with another female who gets what she goes through and struggles with on a daily basis.

“Streets are too quiet,” Caitlin said.
“Small town,” Rainey said.
“Fearful town.”

The plot was a little less twisty this go around, but I felt because we knew more here, the action and pacing were brilliant and nerve-wracking. I loved how this felt like a true, FBI thriller and it wasn’t trying to also market as a psychological suspense/mystery. I did miss seeing an abundance of Sean in this book, but I understand why he wasn’t as relevant in this installment and was pleased at how the ending of this book gave a little nod to Unsub and book #3. I am beyond ecstatic to see where Meg Gardiner takes us next and am waiting with bated breath for another showdown with Caitlin and her crew! Hurry up 2019!!! ❤

“I’ll slip into floating darkness. It’ll be like falling through a field of stars, into the black nowhere.”

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Black Nowhere.

December 27, 2017 – Shelved
January 24, 2018 – Started Reading
January 25, 2018 –
page 107
January 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Jordan (new) - added it

Jordan Looking forward to your review! I'm hoping to get a copy at some point. Did you win your copy?

Chelsea Humphrey Jordan wrote: "Looking forward to your review! I'm hoping to get a copy at some point. Did you win your copy?"

I hope you enjoy it Jordan! The publisher mailed me a copy to review and post on my Instagram. ❤️

message 3: by Tori (new) - added it

Tori Lynn Currently reading the first one and can’t put it down!!

Chelsea Humphrey Tori wrote: "Currently reading the first one and can’t put it down!!"

Ah how exciting Tori! Hope you enjoy both books!

Tina I can’t wait for this book’s release next week!

Chelsea Humphrey Tina wrote: "I can’t wait for this book’s release next week!"

Hope you enjoy it Tina!

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Edwards meg gardner

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Edwards Did not mean to comment here--sorry! 😆

Chelsea Humphrey Ashley wrote: "Did not mean to comment here--sorry! 😆"

Lol no worries!

Bobbi (Bobbi Reads Too Much) I need to try UNSUB again. I got about 100+ pages in and it just couldn’t keep my interest. Usually I LOVE books like this, so I think I just wasn’t in the mood for it and read it at the wrong time.

Chelsea Humphrey Bobbi wrote: "I need to try UNSUB again. I got about 100+ pages in and it just couldn’t keep my interest. Usually I LOVE books like this, so I think I just wasn’t in the mood for it and read it at the wrong time."

I totally get that because the same thing happened to me! I tried to read Unsub right after it was published and I didn’t make it past 50 pages. Glad I put it down and tried it again at a later time when I was in a better place!

Benjamin  Thomas Into the Black was definitely a lot different from UNSUB but it played out very well. UNSUB was so good I think we all got spoiled. I agree on including Rainey in future books because she was so vital to the case and Caitlin. One thing that has me wondering is the serial killer the same guy at the end of UNSUB? That was never addressed unless its in a future book.

Chelsea Humphrey Benjamin wrote: "Into the Black was definitely a lot different from UNSUB but it played out very well. UNSUB was so good I think we all got spoiled. I agree on including Rainey in future books because she was so vi..."

Thanks Ben! I think the shocker was that this was a different killer than the one we were left with the cliff hanger with at the end of Unsub, but the end of this Book implies he’ll be the focus of Book #3

Benjamin  Thomas YES. I can't wait to seek my teeth into the third installment :-)

Chelsea Humphrey Benjamin wrote: "YES. I can't wait to seek my teeth into the third installment :-)"

I can't wait!

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Brandel Another top rated review Chelsea. I m reading Unsub now, an excellent thriller. Ms Gardiner really knows how to spin a great thriller.

Chelsea Humphrey Paul wrote: "Another top rated review Chelsea. I m reading Unsub now, an excellent thriller. Ms Gardiner really knows how to spin a great thriller."

Thanks Paul; I hope you enjoy both!

message 18: by Harry (new)

Harry S. Great book, until you reach the end. Terrible ending. No idea on what happened to the killer or Michelle. Kept me hanging. I feel very dissatisfied with this book.