Tina's Reviews > High Society

High Society by Paolo Chikiamco

Oct 13, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, filipino, historical, graphic-novel, steampunk
Read on November 16, 2011

Quick note! I'm giving away a Kindle copy of this book on my blog! Just a leave a comment on this entry and I'll pick one lucky winner on November 18. :)

Original post at One More Page

I'm really all for supporting local authors and content, so when Honey told me that they will be releasing Paolo Chikiamco and Hannah Buena's High Society under their publishing company, I bought it without blinking. Local content for the win, plus I really enjoyed Kataastaasan , so I was excited to read more about this alternate steampunk world.

Thing is, High Society is really the same as the Kataastaasan I read a year back...but also a little bit different. High Society is a stand-alone comic set in Cebu City circa 1770, and tells an alternate history of the Philippines’ struggle for independence from Spain. Here we meet someone called "The Carpenter" telling our main character Rita about the location of a treasure that they need to recover. Rita goes undercover in a party with the Spanish colonizers to retrieve the treasure. Now you'd think Rita is just your normal undercover agent and all, but then she's also not. I won't reveal what the twist is, but I remember I was pleasantly surprised when I found out about it on my first read. Even if I knew about it then, I really liked how it was illustrated and revealed this time, and I think it's the part of the story that hooks the reader the most.

I think the improvement on this one compared to the ARC I read was how Rita was given a more human aspect. There's a hint of romance in the story that made me smile, and it made me want to know more. This version also had a little more background on how Rita came to be as well as why their mission was important. I'm not a big judge on artwork, but I liked how it had that dark and authentic Philippines in Spanish era vibe.

So yeah, I liked this one on the second round as much as I liked it during the first. Too bad it's a stand alone, but I kind of have high hopes with what they mean with the "Wooden War" series. More please? High Society is a creative take in Philippine history, and anyone who's a history buff, or at least interested in alternate histories and steampunk should pick this up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Society.

02/27/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos I fervently, passionately hope that there will be a hard copy of this komiks at the coming Komikon.

Nice review! At baka ma-feature ito sa site ng Flipreads. :)

Tina jzhunagev wrote: "I fervently, passionately hope that there will be a hard copy of this komiks at the coming Komikon.

Nice review! At baka ma-feature ito sa site ng Flipreads. :)"

They will be selling copies during Komikon :) Pao said so here. :)

message 3: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Thanks for the heads up, Tina! ^^,

message 4: by Apokripos (new)

Apokripos Tina just a quick question: is Kataastaasan the same as High Societ or are they different work by Paulo?

Tina jzhunagev wrote: "Tina just a quick question: is Kataastaasan the same as High Societ or are they different work by Paulo?"

They're the same, actually, although High Society had some additions to the story. :) Hm now I wonder if I should combine those two books or should I just remove the other. Kataastaasan is really an ARC.