Julie's Reviews > Castle in the Air

Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones

May 14, 2008

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, from-library, 2014
Read from January 03 to 04, 2014 — I own a copy , read count: 2

(Remembering reading it around 1992-4 or so)
This is sort of a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, but it doesn't have ALL that much to do with the other book. I liked the other book better but this was still enjoyable, just less memorable.

________________________________________________________

Re-read, January 2014:
Ok, that was my brief review from remembering reading it several years before. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was forgetting that familiar characters start showing up about halfway through the book, and on top of that, once you know the WHOLE story, some of them have been there all along.

It's true that the book focuses on Abdullah, daydreaming carpet merchant, and he's new. He's likeable, though, and it gets even more interesting once he picks up the craggy old soldier from Strangia.

Abdullah (like Sophie before him) learns a lot about himself over the course of the book. He learns what his strengths and faults are, and his courage and intelligence get him through a lot of tough situations. There's a romance, but it's not the absolute focus of the book. Incidentally, the castle full of princesses is JUST SO DARN ENTERTAINING. Wilting flowers they are not.

The mix of new and familiar characters keeps this one going, although it's probably my least favorite of the trilogy. I certainly wouldn't discount it, though, because it's still a great deal of fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Castle in the Air.