Paradoxical's Reviews > The Death Cure

1964421
Oct 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise

The Death Cure speeds right along from start to end and hardly gives the reader time to breath between each scene. Fast paced, it keeps the mysteries coming, while slipping us bits and pieces of information. It's almost enough to make me scream, but, luckily for everyone around me, I stuck with just reading the book at a rather breakneck pace.

Which is not to say that the book is good. It is average at most, and what I think shines the best (and what I like the best) is the fact that the reader dearly wants to know what is happening, what will happen, and if they'll make it out in the end. And, you know, give us actual answers. That and I'm a sucker for these types of books where there's a lot of mystery, and mind games, and running around and trying to stay one step ahead while never knowing if you're just playing further into enemy hands.

The writing is... eh. It's readable, but I find myself hard pressed to even say it's decent. It's okay. It's all right. Sometimes things come a little too easily to the characters (for good reasons and for not so good reasons), and the characters themselves are a little bland. There's a lot of dialogue in the books and, at times, I want to roll my eyes hard at what is being said and how it's being said. It just doesn't seem all that believable at times.

Also, it drove me a little crazy when Thomas and a couple of his friends didn't want to follow along with the rest in an important decision. I get why he didn't want to, but the fact is that so many answers would have come to us if he had gone through--and yes, it killed me that he'd rather have less information than more.

The end was... hm. It was action packed, there was a lot going on, but it didn't seem all that deep. The epilogue was a bit of a kick to the guts, even if I had somewhat guessed what was going on. (view spoiler) Still, most of the loose ends were tied up, and we're given a resolution that is acceptable. 2-3 stars, rounding up to 3.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death Cure.