Jennifer's Reviews > Ghellow Road

Ghellow Road by T.H. Waters

The story is the tale of a woman recalling her childhood growing up in a home filled with love and turmoil. It is a story of how the woman manages to come of age like all of us, but in a home that is overtaken by mental illness. The story takes you in from the first page and you really feel part of Theresa's world. You feel the hope of the young girl, like when she is trying to win a radio contest so that she can send her mother to Lourdes to make her better, just because she has heard her mother wish to go to this unknown place where miracle's happen. You can feel the teen angst that everyone has and see just how strong she is to make it through after all she goes through at home at the same time. I loved the initial innocence of a young girl trying to figure out why her mother had to leave home for months at a time, even though the reader ... like all the other adults in the story ... clearly understand the reason behind the absences. The flow of writing was so perfect for the flow of the story that it was able to progress seamlessly.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys coming-of-age stories or books dealing with the hardships of living with those you love who suffer from mental illnesses.

I also recommend this to ANYONE looking for a good heartfelt story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghellow Road.

October 12, 2011 – Shelved