Heather C's Reviews > The Spring Girls

The Spring Girls by Anna Todd

liked it
bookshelves: arc, jan-2018

First and foremost, please don't let my rating fool you. Sometimes people see three stars and they immediately think that it is a negative review. That is definitely not the case. I enjoyed The Spring Girls and really thought it was written well. There was just something missing for me so in a sense, the rating is a bit false. I felt I needed to say that because I think a lot of people will like this book as long as you go into it with an open mind.

The Spring Girls is a modern day re-telling of The Little Women. I will admit that at first I struggled with the idea of using the original character names but in the end, I'm glad that Todd decided to do that. There are so many ways to re-tell a classic and a lot of times, the names are changed. So I think at first I was expecting that, but in the end, I think it worked better keeping the original names.

The girls are growing up in New Orleans. Their father is away on tour in Afghanistan and we get to see this modern day military family and how they cope and grow when one of their loved ones is away fighting for freedom. This story is told in multiple POVs, including all the sisters, the mother and a few others. It gives you a really good idea of how different each girl is and the struggles they go through. Since they are different ages, different things are important to them at this point in their life.

While I enjoyed each of their POVs, I just had a hard time connecting with most of them. As usual, Jo stands out and she was the easiest to connect with but the other's kind of fell off the radar for me for some reason. I think that's the downside to modernizing it. When you start throwing in cell phones and other materialistic things that are important to a 15 year old, it's easier to disconnect. I know that sounds unfair to Todd because the original had the same but it was just a different era. I don't know if I can really explain it well enough.

The only other thing that bothered me a bit was that I felt like some of the things I wanted to know towards the end were skimmed over or briefly touched and I felt like there needed to be a bit more. I know that I'm the minority here and again, I want to state that I really did enjoy this book and I think a lot of people will like it.

If you are looking for modern day re-telling of a classic that shows us about love, strength and loyalty, then you need to pick up The Spring Girls and read it. It won't be just like Little Woman so through that notion out the window and go in with an open mind and just enjoy the story.

*ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spring Girls.

December 26, 2017 – Started Reading