Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)'s Reviews > Where Angels Fear to Tread

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E.M. Forster

liked it

My first Forster and a quick, easy, fun read. Oh, those silly English; so pompous and Protestant and detached. Oh, those wacky, ignorant Italians with their papist leanings, their saints and their layabout cafe culture. This is a silly culture clash novel with a male character who does not change (but thinks he does) and a female character who is deep and unknowable and full of well earned condescension toward men. In an odd way it reminds me of Revolutionary Road; or maybe just real life. I enjoyed this in part because I make a sport of cataloguing film and literature condescension directed at Catholic and Mediterranean cultures.* The warm, Catholic countries always seem to be the places where uptight Americans and northern Europeans go to dance, watch street festivals, overeat without utensils and have saucy sex. After a while you start to wonder if anyone has ever reversed this migration and headed north in search of repression, hymns, and oyster forks.

The baby storyline here is ridiculous, but I assume that was the point.

*I catalogue these because my heritage is 3% oyster fork and 80% red sauce, and I'm vaguely offended (but mostly amused).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Angels Fear to Tread.

October 12, 2011 – Started Reading
October 12, 2011 – Shelved
October 12, 2011 –
0.0% "Apparently in January I wrote down, "Read an E.M. Forster novel" on my list of things to accomplish this year. So off we go..."
October 17, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Rhiannon Kristen says, "After a while you start to wonder if anyone has ever reversed this migration and headed north in search of repression, hymns and oyster forks."

I think we should find this novel. It would be hilarious.

Rkutler I do like oyster forks.

Poly Styrene I love your review of this novel and agree with you 100%. It is an easy and fun read and yet the scenario of stuffy European abroad is a little tired.