AbsentLibrarian's Reviews > Jemima J

Jemima J by Jane Green

bookshelves: loved-it

** spoiler alert ** I had read this novel in 2001 or so and had very fond memories of it. It was my introduction to author Jane Green , who has become one of my go-to authors..sort of like comfort food for rainy days. Revisiting it this week, I found myself surprised at how dated certain aspects were: the introduction of the internet, mention of celebrity couples Tom Cruse and Nicole Kidman and Demi Moore and Bruce Willis as a happily married ideals, and the detailed descriptions on fashions (now outdated, even in text).
I also noticed in this reading, the use of a voice-over narrator that had been forgotten since my last visit. I couldn't decide if it was quirky in a soap opera way - the author talking to the reader in between first person narration by the two main characters, or annoying in that same soap opera way.
These two points aside, I still enjoyed the story. I find my perception has changed over the years as well. During my first reading ten years ago, I identified greatly with Jemima and cheered her on at every turn. This time around, my cheers were interspersed with flashes of reason and logic regarding her weight-loss regime and her evolving self-image. On the surface the changes she made were great fodder for the genre but I found myself impatient for Jemima to reach her epiphanies and find her equilibrium in the world. The ending still held the satisfaction I was seeking, although this time around it felt short as I found I wanted more details between the last chapter and the epilogue.
Ten years later the heart of this book held up for me. I wonder how I will view it in another five or ten years?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jemima J.

October 12, 2011 – Shelved