Leah's Reviews > The Long Dark Night

The Long Dark Night by Joseph Hayes

The Long Dark Night takes place during one long dark night, or roughly 12 hours, when Boyd Ritchie, who was framed for a crime he did not commit and served 8 years in prison, exacts his revenge on those he feels are responsible. His plan is sick, twisted and insane, but I kept wondering, will he get away with it? And, do I want him to?

It's taken me 15+ years to finish this book. There's no real explanation for why it took me that long; I would get to around the 300 page mark and just stop with the intent to finish it later. So this year I was determined to finish.

Here's the kicker: it's a good book (3.5 stars). Hayes handles the multiple POVs smoothly and uses them to not only give us a 360° viewpoint but also to increase tension and suspense. The most interesting aspect is seeing the story through each person's eyes. How two characters see the same situation completely different; being able to see what one character assumed was the truth and then seeing the truth through another character. How someone, a good person who was wronged, could turn into the very person he set out to destroy, or even worse than that person, all for the sake of revenge.

Perhaps there are too many unlikeable characters. It is difficult to side with any one person or to root for any of them because they are all quite flawed and damaged. Some were even downright repulsive, and I'm not (only) referring to Boyd Ritchie.

I definitely didn't end up where I thought I would :) This is not the kind of revenge story where you're pullin' for the "bad" guy.

~ SPOILER ALERT / CONTENT WARNING ~

The Long Dark Night contains a considerable amount of rape, including the sodomy of an 11-year old child, though it is not described in real-time but told to us after, so if that is too much for you to stomach, skip this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Dark Night.

October 12, 2011 – Shelved