Ebookwormy1's Reviews > Tirzah

Tirzah by Lucille Travis

Oct 12, 2011

bookshelves: history, fiction, history-creation-to-fall-of-rome, israeljudaism, world-middleeast
Recommended to Ebookwormy1 by: Tapestry of Grace
Read from October 12 to November 18, 2011 — I own a copy

This insightful historical fiction about the exodus was helpful to me in illuminating the Biblical text. The author respectfully tries to flesh out what the obedient and disobedient among the tribes of Israel may have been thinking/ feeling during these tumultuous events. The narrative was challenging to me personally, as I kept feeling a strong identification with the unfaithful and not as strong an identification with the faithful.

It is not amazing writing, and some of the character development is a little rough, particularly at the beginning. Also, I found the ending extremely unsatisfying, as the author doesn't resolve much of the tension created in earlier chapters. I suppose she ends where she does because that is where the Biblical book of Exodus ends, but at least use an epilogue to sketch where our characters end up!

Nonetheless, a valuable read. Highly recommended. An excellent home school library selection.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tirzah.