Sakura's Reviews > Wings of the Wicked

Wings of the Wicked by Courtney Allison Moulton

did not like it
bookshelves: angels, could-ve-been-written-better, be-more-original, wtf

** spoiler alert ** This review has faint spoilers:

This book is so far somewhat annoying mostly because of ellie and her constant whining and having to depend on will as well as her making stupid choices: (view spoiler) and not caring about the fact that she's putting her loved ones lives in danger. Another thing I'm having a trouble with is the fact that there's no diversity in this series what so ever except for Lauren being Asian.

That's it. And let's not forget Ellie and her daddy issues(which in my opinion is so overused in YA nowadays. I mean whats wrong with dads actually being with their daughters. In real life, not every mom is there for her daughter so stop with the crap already on that. It's really getting old and there should be different types of relationships in YA instead of the crappy mom's always there for her daughter bs.

Note to everyone: MS.MOULTON NEEDS TO REWRITE HER STORY. NO ONE WANTS TO CONSTANTLY HEAR ABOUT ELLIE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT WANTING TO PARTY, DRINKING AND DOING A BUNCH OF STUPID CRAP SHE'S NOT SUPPOSED TO! She's not taking her actions into consideration at all. Shes nearly a Mary-sue and Will, her friends, and her mom are just babying her. She's needs to get a grip on herself by book 3 or else I may end up dropping this series.

Ugh there is so much I want say about this book but I want to finish it first and see if it gets better. I swear it's like authors don't want to change how YA is written at all. They just want to keep using the same crap over and over again and it frustrates people. Another thing that Ms. Moulton is doing wrong is adding in scenes that doesnt need to be in the book: parties, drinking etc. and she's telling us what's going on instead of showing it which also aggravates me, example: when ellie met marcus etc.

Not to mention she's not describing the characters in a way that we can picture them on our heads which I think is unfair. How are we supposed to get a feel for the characters if we don't now what they look like as well as show us how they feel?

Ms. Moulton doesn't get that just like there are different types of boys there are also different types of girls. Why can't we teenagers be represented in a way that's true to us instead of just using stereotypes to describe us? It's no different then there being different types of people in the world. Teenagers are all shapes, sizes and skintones but are we represented in a way that's true to us?

NO NEVER AND IT'S NOT FAIR AT ALL. But I hope this series will get better with time. I really think ms. Moulton should've edited her book more before she got it published but that's just my opinion.

Update: 4/5/13-WARNING THE FOLLOWING HAS RANTING AS WELL AS HORRIBLE EXCUSES FOR SPELLING OR GRAMMAR DUE TO ME BEING TOO LAZY TO TYPE CORRECTLY! I AM NOT BASHING MS. MOULTON OR HER CHARACTERS IN ANY WAY, I'M JUST STATING MY OPINIONS ON HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE SERIES. THIS ALSO CONTAINS SPOILERS! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Okay so...What I've decided to do regarding this series is to read it in 1st person present tense (since I don't get why most books in 1st person r written in past tense instead of telling the story like its happening right now), with more showing instead of telling. UGH seriously why do people insist on telling us what happens instead of just showing us what's happening or how the characters feel throughout the story? Example in point: (view spoiler) It was just told to me and that annoyed me.

And don't get me started on lack of character description! I mean got damn, why does this keep happening in writing nowadays?! Also why wasn't there more diversity! I mean come on why is Lauren the only character that isn't white? It's like 'Hello Ms. Moulton, u could've made all the cast different ethnic groups?!

SO WHY DIDN'T SHE DO THIS?

My answer: I have no darn clue what so ever. *shrugs shoulders and sighs*

My second topic of annoyance: Kate! She's not a best friend I'm sorry but she just isn't! And here are my reasons why....Once again BEWARE OF SPOILERS! If you haven't read Angelfire then ignore everything I'm saying please...if you want to.

A) she lets Elie get drunk at her own party and doesn't even try to stop her. Mind you she's the one that brought and offered the alcohol.

My Thoughts: Really Kate? You couldn't have drank the liquor while Ellie's parents were around at least that way, she wouldn't have gotten drunk and neither would you or anyone else. Ugh rich people must have it easy. *rolls my eyes in annoyance*

B) she almost lets Elie get raped because of a party she wanted to go to. (KEYWORDS ARE: PARTY SHE WANTED TO GO TO. KATE NOT ELLIE! I mean seriously who leaves the room when a college boy is about to rape their best friend?! That's so damn stupid.

C) she doesn't even try to see things from will's side. She just goes off on him for saving Elie's dumbass from being raped. What friend does that too?!

My thoughts: HEAR THE GUY OUT BEFORE YOU START BITCHING AT HIM WOMAN!

All and all I don't like Elie or Kate and can't believe their best friends at all!

And now my main topic of annoyance: *bangs on my desk as drumroll* Ellie!

Elie isn't a relatable heroine at all and here's why and yes I know there are a lot of people that have ranted about this series that have probably already said what I'm about to say but I'm contributing to this craziness anyway so bite me! Not literally!

A. Her personality (or lack there of): She's irresponsible, whiny and she's a selfish brat.

Examples:
1. She doesn't even question why her dad would smell like blood or why he's acting weird. This happens in Angelfire just in case you either haven't read the books or you don't remember (OR want to remember) what happened.

My thoughts: WTF ELIE! Ugh I so glad she just assumes he's being a jerk on purpose! *Note sarcasm* And then when she finds out the truth she wants to have a fit only about her mom! One word: AGAIN WTF ELIE. U JUST FOUND OUT UR DAD WAS KILLED BY A DEMONIC REAPER AND THAT THE SAME REAPER THAT KILLED HIM HAS BEEN LIVING WITH U AND UR MOM THIS WHOLE TIME AND U DON'T EVEN CARE?! What the hell?!

Secondly: how can she get mad at Will for anything. What a moron! Will has only tried to be there for her and she doesn't even care. What a conceited brat. She only cares when he's saving her butt or taking her abuse. Will deserves better then her.

Thirdly: her friends should kick her butt for being such a bitch. They shouldn't just agree to everything she says or does like the little groupies they are. That's not being a true friend at all. I'm not getting into the whole friends statement because for anyone that has good friends or people they close with, they should know what being a true friend/companion/person you can etc is. I feel like their only there to make her look good and that's it. *Cough cough Bella Swan cough cough*

Fourthly: Elie's attitude towards a lot of stuff is screwed up.

Examples:
1. She cares about parties and hanging out with all the time with her friends. AS IF SAVING THE WORLD'S SOULS FROM REAPERS ISN'T IMPORTANT!

My thoughts: She shouldn't care about parties and hanging out all the time with her friends. If I was her (mind you I'm darker skinned then her, I'm not obsessed with my looks or whether or not being popular or well-liked at school is my main priority. In my opinion, the author makes her seem really skinny *cough too skinny cough* no offense.

EX. of what I mean: "My boobs kind of spilling out, but the sheath shape of the dress made my hips and legs look like I had hips and legs."-chapter 19, pg. 245 of the paperback of Angelfire.

Okay first of all this quote was stupid and second of all, I really don't see any teenage girl saying so crap like this about herself at all. ESPECIALLY, WEARING A SEXY NURSE COSTUME!

I mean compared to Elie, I don't worry about half the crap she worries about: parties, drinking, wanting to be popular or whatever etc. Anyway if I was her, I would want to know more about my past lives and actually how to fight instead of it just being given to me. I would focus more on how being Gabriel's reincarnation effects me mentally, physically and emotionally instead of socially like Elie does. I would kick reaper butt instead and try to save as many people as I can but sadly I'm not Elie but I'm sure I wouldn't be concerned about make-up, shopping and everything she's feels is a life crisis to her.

Lastly I don't like how just because she's rich she gets away with almost everything and no reprimands her for it (namely her pushover mommy, and every character in the book excluding Cadan and her "dad".) and she doesn't even try to think about the choices she makes.

REALITY CHECK: REAL TEEN GIRLS THINK ABOUT STUFF LIKE THIS; NOT PARTYING, BEING POPULAR AND WHETHER OR NOT THEY SHOULD GO SHOPPING. And even if their home life is bad they don't always bitch about it. They try to deal with it or if they need help then they ask for help not always have someone to come save them like they can't do anything by themselves like weak little princesses! They fight and kick butt just by being normal middle or lower class teen girls not semi-rich Barbie perfect brats who don't know how to save their own asses.

And another thing teens have blemishes and acme and stuff. Our skin is never flawless ever!

Yes I admit Elie has a right to be whiny because her parents died and everything but the rest of her behavior is uncalled for and I wish she would've acted differently instead of how she did as well as people actually got on her case about her bitchyness. She's not a relatable teenager. She's just the author trying to be perfect and give us bs about how she's not rich and how she wishes she could be Elie and she made up a stupid reason for Elie and will not to be together but it's fine for her to be with human boys?! Whatever!

Don't get me wrong I love the series but I don't like a lot of the characters because their just there to be Elie's bullcrap listeners and fans and there's no real relationships with any of them and she doesn't care about anyone but herself and the characters weren't given personalities or good enough backstory/relationships with her to be actually friends or family. Also will should've got on her case about a lot of things she said or did instead of just taking her crap. He's supposed to be her guardian but he's not supposed to her crouch. Just like he said in book 1.

There should've been more flashbacks of her actually being a good fighter and also meeting all the people she meets like Nathaniel, Marcus and some of the reapers or angels and stuff not just it being told to the readers like we wouldn't understand what was going on if it was shown to it us. All and all Elie is a horrible heroine and her relationships with people needs major work as well as her personality needs major work too if she's supposed to be this kickass warrior angel along with more diversity/ characterization should've been shown too instead of what was given to the readers.

Sorry for the long comment but I'm seriously mad at the author for all of her mistakes with this series that's all. There was just a lot I had to get off my chest that's all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wings of the Wicked.

Quotes Sakura Liked

Courtney Allison Moulton
“My kind of fun just doesn't include making fun of vertically challanged people”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“It's easier to love you than to pretend I don't.”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“I'm a reader,not a fighter.”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“He stepped forward and wrapped his arms around the small of my back, tugging me to his chest. I threw my arms around his shoulders, sliding my nails up and down his neck gently. “Stay with me. And with Nathaniel and Lauren. All day. Be happy today.”
“That’s it?”
He bent down and kissed me richly. “Each time I look at you, I want to see a smile on your beautiful face.”
“Will you be looking at me a lot?”
“I’m always stealing glances,” he confessed. “You rarely notice.”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“Don’t be mad” was the first thing he said. He really was terrified, as if the most frightening reaper on the planet was no scarier than a mouse, and yet put him in a tux and it was the Apocalypse.”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“A demonic reaper asked to be my valentine and then killed his crazy ex-girlfriend to save my life. Tomorrow I was starting up antipsychotic meds.”

Courtney Allison Moulton
“if you want peace, prepare for war”

October 12, 2011 – Shelved
February 2, 2012 –
page 5
page 84
15.44% "This book is okay so far. It's somewhat better then the first one but I still can't feel the characters. The lack of description is kinda making me hate the book but its not as bad as the first one. I just hope that the author works on description more and not always try to make Ellie go to parties and I hope I get to learn more about her past lives."
page 94
17.28% "Ellie is starting I annoy me. She's still trying to go to parties and look cute instead of kiccking Butt. Doesn't she realize that life isn't about parties and shopping?! Ugh she needs to grow up. If the world ends she won't be able to go shopping or go to parties. She's not a heroine I can relate to."
July 12, 2012 –
August 15, 2013 –
page 1
September 9, 2013 –
page 300
55.15% "The book is slightly a bit interesting since my brain won't let me get over this crappy series until I finish it so wish my sanity luck because I'm pretty sure I'm going be insane by the time I'm done."
September 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mash haha I love your review.

Sakura Sorry Mash for the late reply and thank u^_^