Mihir's Reviews > Jack Bloodfist: Fixer

Jack Bloodfist by James Jakins

liked it
bookshelves: spfbo-3-2017-finalists

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: I was very excited about Jack Bloodfist: Fixer as it was an urban fantasy with a non-human protagonist. It also reminded me a bit of Myke Cole Shadow Ops series with its mix of fantasy and other dimensions. I dove in with a lot of anticipation and after finishing it, I certainly saw why it was a finalist.

Jack Bloodfist is the half-orc half-goblin hybrid who’s tasked with keeping the peace between the human world and the non-human races who reside in a tiny part of Virginia. Swamped with family troubles, politics and magical happenings, Jack is a pretty normal guy doing the best he can in an imperfect world. Things go haywire when an angry being comes with murderous intent and that’s when Jack has to call out for his cohort to deal with the issue at hand.

Jack Bloodfist: Fixer has all the hallmarks of an urban fantasy with a talkative, quippy protagonist, quirky sidecast and an interesting world scenario of magic mixed with the mundane life realities. The action is certainly not over the top and the magic scenario is very well explained. The book ends on a solid note and this story would certainly qualify as a standalone if you were to stop here. Clearly this is the first of a series but I enjoyed the standalone nature of the main plot.

Overall Jack Bloodfist: Fixer was an enjoyable read which mixed urban fantasy tropes with some epic fantasy ones. James Jakins has come up with an intriguing premise to interest the urban fantasy fans and hopefully attract the epic fantasy ones as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jack Bloodfist.

Finished Reading