Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell's Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

2190064

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I'm an introvert. A lot of people don't think I am because I'm very involved in a lot of things - I'm in a lot of clubs, I host a book club (IRL and online), and I like to plan parties for people. But I am an introvert, because too much socializing exhausts me, and I need a few days to kick back and just curl up with a book to recover. It's not that I'm antisocial, it's just how I am. I love being with people, but I can't do it all the time. In middle and high school, I also had social anxiety, to the point where I would sometimes try to call in sick on days when I had oral reports. As soon as I got up in front of everyone, I'd shake so hard I could barely stand upright. I would sometimes skip lunch so I could sit in the library and not talk to anyone.

Writing empowered me to find something in myself as a young teen that made me feel really special and talented. I didn't have the best self-esteem growing up, so every review I received on my works when I posted them online made me feel really good about myself. Sometimes, I'd have a bad day, and then I'd read something really nice and then suddenly everything would be all right again, because someone had read something I'd written and found it meaningful in some small way. Connecting with the reading and blogging community also let me find people who shared my interests and reinforced that my opinions mattered. I joined Goodreads as an older teen (19) and quickly, it became a place where I felt that I could be myself. Now, nearly ten years later, I feel perfectly secure in who I am as a person. And while there are many factors that contributed to this, such as finding a good job and earning my own income, and going to a good school, I also credit my writing and my friends in the blogging community as well to contributing to that developed sense of self and self-confidence. When I read the summary for FANGIRL, I was excited initially because FANGIRL was about an introverted, socially phobic girl who found empowerment in writing and in her fandom. I am also an introverted girl who found empowerment in writing and in her fandom. I even wrote fanfiction many, many years ago - Inuyasha, if you're curious - although obviously (wink), I gave that up and switched to original fiction. I thought, "This is going to be a book about a character who is just like me! There is no way that this cannot be good! I am going to read this and feel all the feels and it will be great"

Reader, this book was some serious, mega kind of BS.

I have not hated a character as much as I hated Cath in a long time. I think the last time I encountered a trash person who achieved Dumpster-Grade status was in Molly McAdams's SHARING YOU, another book that let me seething. The difference between the two is that SHARING YOU doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is - a guilty pleasure sort of soap opera 'romance' - while FANGIRL basks in its own inflated self of self-importance, featuring a selfish, whiny, genuinely antisocial main character who is so far up her own rear end that she couldn't find her way out with a spelunking team and a searchlight.

Cath whines nonstop about going to college. She whines about her sister, Wren, not rooming with her. She whines at the idea of being forced to socialize. She judges the heck out of her roommate, Reagan. She locks her roommate's friend, Levi, out of their room, leaving him outside to wait for hours in the hall but not before she basically calls him 'rapey.' She whines about her sister not wanting to read or help her with her stupid fanfiction anymore. She describes somebody like this: "He looked like someone with a steerage ticket on the Titanic. Somebody who'd be standing in line at Ellis Island. Undiluted and old-blooded" (31). She whines about her fanfic readers being too demanding and when she's not acting like her fic has a greater place in her life than her education or even her friends, seems totally ungrateful about her 30,000+ readership. She turns in a fanfic for her ORIGINAL FICTION class and is SHOCKED when the professor gives her an F. Then she argues with the professor over what constitutes original writing. This is a professor who has already allowed Cath to take a class that isn't generally open to freshmen, by the way. She makes fun of someone for reading a "kids' book." She bursts into tears every time someone insults her fandom, acting like it's completely off-limits, when she uses it as an emotional crutch to compensate for her lack of healthy relationships or hobbies. She is upset when her sister gets her t-shirts for Christmas and the shirts aren't fandom shirts. She makes out with her roommate's boyfriend and then says "I'm not that kind of girl." She voluntarily helps this guy in her writing class with his stories, but is condescending AF. Then when she finds out he plans on turning it in for his final assignment, she tries to stop him because it's "her" work too. Then she rats him out to her professor, he gets fired from being teacher's assistant. Oh, and guess what? At the end of the book, his story gets considered for a magazine but the professor (the same one Cath argued with) won't let him publish it unless Cath agrees. Cath refuses, while all of her friends smirk and jeer at him. Which is pretty ironic, considering Cath has her sister help her on her precious fic, and even though Wren is credited on their past works, I don't believe she isn't credited on the most recent story. Cath gets into another argument with her professor over original work, and even though her professor gives her a chance for an extension, Cath considers throwing that all away because she wants to finish her fic before the author of her precious fandom publishes the last book. She gets into a fight with Levi over it, who threatens not to talk to her until the book drops. She cries, but of course, Levi ends up relenting. I would have said sayonara, but that's me. Anyone who's willing to throw their life away over fandom doesn't have their priorities sorted out. She calls Aretha Franklin a "diva" and yet says this of herself: "[W]hen I'm writing Gemma T. Leslie's characters, sometimes, in some ways, I AM better than her." To her professor.

Oh. Oh. Oh.

And the BEST PART OF ALL? Cath decides last minute that maybe she shouldn't completely screw herself on her creative writing assignment, so she writes a last-minute story about her mommy issues (which are also done really badly, and feature a lot of Cath-whining). Her last-minute story ends up winning and getting published in the same magazine she blocked that guy in her creative writing class from publishing in. ISN'T THAT BLEEPING GREAT?

So what is the moral of this story? You can treat people like garbage and be considered adorable, quirky, and eccentric as long as you make sure to tell everyone you're an "introvert"? That all introverts are whiny, nasty creeps? That writers are high-strung, arrogant butt-clowns who should throw out all their opportunities in life and hold their craft above all their relationships? That people involved in fandoms are all using their fandoms as emotional crutches and are highly dysfunctional people? That you can do all this stuff and STILL have everything in your life turn out exactly the way you want it because the world isn't fair and life is one giant, gosh-darn wish fulfillment fantasy?

I don't know what this book was trying to say, but I HATED it with a passion - as a writer, as a fangirl, as an introvert, as an ex-socialphobe, and as a reader, who was hoping to find something to get fangirly about and instead encountered a big, festering planet of garbage populated by The Queen of the Trash People Herself: Cath Avery. Oh, and guess what - you can read Cath's fanfic now because it was published as a book

I'm honestly shocked that more people aren't complaining about the unflattering portrait of introverts in this book. I was completely disgusted.

1 star

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

December 24, 2017 – Started Reading
December 24, 2017 – Shelved
December 24, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-ya-land
page 11
2.29% "I already don't like Cath. She's like the stereotypical introvert who's rude and mean because "she just can't help it" and everyone's like "awe, how quirky and adorable!" Speaking as an introvert who can get very uncomfortable in social situations, we're not all rude and mean; we don't all whine at parties, and we don't run away and make nasty assumptions about extroverts. I HATE introvert portrayals like this."
page 21
4.37% "Wowwww. Cath is such a bitch; and she's so complacent about it, too. Making her roommate's brother wait out in the hall for hours because she doesn't feel like letting him in, calling him "rapey." Clinging to her sister like saran wrap. Yeah. I hate her so much. I'm sensing a one-star for this book. Everything about it is disgusting me so much."
page 30
6.24% "I feel like every ten pages, I'm just going to be checking in here and being all, "HAVE I TOLD YOU GUYS HOW MUCH I HATE CATH???"

Because I do.

A lot.

You know, in case it wasn't clear before."
page 31
6.44% "He looked like someone with a steerage ticket on the Titanic. Somebody who'd be standing in line at Ellis Island. Undiluted and old-blooded.

page 37
7.69% ""Look," she'd said last night, "it's Gimpy. How do you think he broke his leg?""
page 42
8.73% "OK, I need to say something else. I'm tired of authors being portrayed as "victimized" because of negative reviews and over-enthusiastic fans. You don't have to respond. Sometimes, you SHOULDN'T respond. There have definitely been times when I've felt exhausted or frustrated, but sometimes you feel that way when you're working. That's normal. You deal.

If you want to write professionally, treat it like WORK."
page 80
16.63% "The idiot seriously turned in FANFICTION for an original fiction writing assignment and is shocked that she got an "F"?

#fail"
page 87
18.09% ""Oh, fuck you, Flowers in the Attic!" Levi shouted back.

Levi is basically the only non-trash person in here."
page 94
19.54% "I want to say something else. I also resent portrayals of people in fandoms as total obsessive losers without social lives who over compensate with their involvement in fandoms to make up for their lack of friends in real life. The way Cath is involved in the fandom ISN'T healthy because she's using it as an emotional crutch. You can be involved in fandoms in a healthy way. I wish more stories portrayed it like that."
page 115
23.91% "Ughhhhh why do we have to be subjected to Cath's fanfiction?"
page 115
23.91% ""You're reading JACOB HAVE I LOVED?" Cath asked. "That's a kids' book."

Shut up, Cath."
page 119
24.74% "Cath literally BURSTS INTO TEARS every time someone insults her goddamn fandom. It's so annoying and dysfunctional.

HAVE I MENTIONED THAT I HATE CATH?"
page 131
27.23% ""I'm sorry...," Cath said, trying and failing to look up at her roommate. "I still don't know why I did it. I swear I'm not that kind of girl."

LOL guess what, Cath? You totally are."
page 144
29.94% "She didn't tell Nick that writing love stories was her thing. Her one true thing. And that his anti-love story read like somebody's very first fanfic - Mary Sue to the tenth power. That the main character was obviously Nick and that the girl was obviously Winona Ryder plus Natalie Portman plus Selena Gomez.

Fuck off, Cath."
page 149
30.98% "UGH, of course Cath gets to meet a fan of her fic IRL who doesn't know who she really is, so Cath gets to ask her all these sneaky questions about the fic and get TONS of praise about how great she is.

I'm going to barf. What were you saying, Cath, about Mary Sue to the tenth power?"
page 177
36.8% ""Are you pregnant? Are you gay? I'd rather you were gay than pregnant. Unless you're pregnant."

page 189
39.29% ""I don't want to write my own characters or my own worlds - I don't care about them." She clenched her fists in her lap. "I care about Simon Snow. And I know he's not mine, but that doesn't matter to me. I'd rather pour myself into a world I love and understand than try to make up something out of nothing."

Wow, what a shitty sentiment. Also, way to disparage original fiction writers."
page 190
39.5% ""[W]hen I'm writing Gemma T. Leslie's characters, sometimes, in some ways, I AM better than her."

OMG, you little shit.
"
page 219
45.53% "This goes by a lot faster if you skip over the knock-off Harry Potter parts and the shitty fanfic."
page 224
46.57% "She just called Aretha Franklin a "Diva." And said of her: "Blech."

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE, CATH."
page 232
48.23% "He told her about 4-H.
"What do the H's stand for?"
"Head, heart, hands, health. They don't have 4-H in South Omaha?"
"They do, but it stands for hard, hip-hop and Homey-don't-play-that."

page 241
50.1% "Me while reading this book:

"
page 278
57.8% "OMG her eyes are blue and "brown in the middle...[a]nd gray on the edge and green in between."

It's official. Cath is a Mary Sue."
page 284
59.04% "I actually feel kind of sorry for Nick."
page 294
61.12% "She is going to FAIL her writing assignment on purpose... after her teacher stuck up for her and gave her a SECOND chance... to work on FANFICTION... because she wants her stupid little story to come out before the author's last book?

This is some serious BS right here."
page 304
63.2% "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THAT ENDING RIGHT NOW"
100.0% "*launches this book out the window*

BYE FELICIA"
December 25, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 3, 2019 – Shelved as: why-the-hype

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Nenia did you suffer through the entirety of this book on Christmas Eve? Lol

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Nenia did you suffer through the entirety of this book on Christmas Eve? Lol"

Yeeeees? >_>

But I also read American Panda by Gloria Chao, which balanced it out. :D

A (Is For Awkward) Haha. Nice. Very Nice.

I had some serious issues with the way fan fiction was handled in this book, though not I think the same issues. It has been awhile so I could be remembering this wrong but what I remember is that the author seemed to imply that "true" creative writing can't be fan fiction (and to write her own works she had to completely abandon fan fiction) but sorry. yes yes it can. Some of our classics would be considered straight up plagerisms if published in todays landscape (and nobody even remembers what they are plagerising). Contributing a fan fiction to a creative writing class? I wouldn't have a problem with that so long as it was truly creative. Not that it deserves a full credit mind you.. Most fan fiction aren't creative enough, they lean too heavily on the original source as a starting point. But then there are others that are so loosely connected it can be made something unique and published as its own thing (good or bad). So the teacher giving a straight F? I had a problem with that. The author should have come back with advice about how to write the same story without the crutch of the fan fiction world, instead she just dismissed it as plagerism. (as I remember anyway) Which it wasn't. (and I have a problem with people who can't tell the difference) So yeah. On that I was with Cath. Barely. Because she couldn't seem to get the full distinction either. But again I blame the teacher for that, because the teacher should have been showing her where she was going wrong, instead of implying it was all wrong entirely. (if I am remembering the book right.. which I might not be)..

message 4: by Maraya21 (new) - added it

Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon) 🔥 Crush & Buuuurn! 🔥 Loved the review! ❤️ I haven't read this, yet, but from the many, many people in my friend's list you are the ONLY ONE to give this 1🌟. Everyone else is 4🌟 and up with a couple 3.5🌟. From your updates I think i'm not gonna like this when I read it. Thank Goddess I didn't spent money buying the paperback a while back.. :/

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice Cai Cath sounds like a mess. Damn she really kissed her friend's boyfriend. Also does the winner's curse series get better? Like damn it was a slog by the end.

message 6: by Hayli (new)

Hayli I love everything about your review. <3 And it's kind of refreshing to see a negative review about this book. I've only heard and seen great praise for this. I can't tell if it makes me want to read it more or less than before.
Either way, I hope your next read is better! <3

Beatrix I love your reviews! <3 AND YOUR WRITING!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah This book would make me scared to tell people that I'm an introvert in case they thought I'm like this character! Please, non-introverts, don't let this book lie to you about what it means to be an introvert.

message 9: by idiffer (last edited Dec 25, 2017 04:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

idiffer Man, how could I not pick up on so many of the negatives of Cath? And I'm like wired to see fault in the opposite gender. The only things I remember being angry about: the cheating + "fuck original work, imma gonna write fanfiction for the rest of my life".

message 10: by TL (new)

TL Great review hun

message 11: by Cordelianne (new)

Cordelianne I dnf'ed Carry On after 100 pages, because it was terrible, since than I have felt 0 motivation to pick up this book and I am not planning on doing it either. Great review!

message 12: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. Perfect review. She sounds like the dark side of tumblr and the world in this book as if created by them - for them.

Fire Moon Reads omg thank you so much !!!!!!! this is the first review i have ever seen where someone hates this book as much as me and for the same reasons . thank you so much and i agree with every word .

Fuzaila Amazing review!

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "Haha. Nice. Very Nice.

That makes a lot of sense - and yes, I think to distinguish the fanfic from the original, the fanfic would have to create a unique plot and change the characters in such a way that they weren't recognizable from the originals to be considered "original fiction." (Although I still feel kind of iffy about that.) But Cath definitely did not do that in the story; her pieces were continuations on the original (canon), so her teacher definitely should have clarified, as you said.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Maraya21 wrote: "🔥 Crush & Buuuurn! 🔥 Loved the review! ❤️ I haven't read this, yet, but from the many, many people in my friend's list you are the ONLY ONE to give this 1🌟. Everyone else is 4🌟 and up with a couple..."

Haha aren't I the special one! I'm glad you enjoyed my review. Hopefully you enjoy it when you read it still! ^_^;

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Alice wrote: "Cath sounds like a mess. Damn she really kissed her friend's boyfriend. Also does the winner's curse series get better? Like damn it was a slog by the end."

Well, she only THOUGHT that Levi was her roommate's boyfriend. It turns out they only used to be and are now just friends. But she THOUGHT he was when she kissed him, so that's not much better.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Hayli wrote: "I love everything about your review. <3 And it's kind of refreshing to see a negative review about this book. I've only heard and seen great praise for this. I can't tell if it makes me want to rea..."

Thank you! Hope your next read is amazing too! I'd only heard good things too, for the most part, which was why I was so excited to read this. I am disappoint.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Beatrix wrote: "I love your reviews! <3 AND YOUR WRITING!"

Aww, thank you so much, Beatrix! <3 I love your book recommendations! I can't tell you how much I've been enjoying Tarryn Fisher's books. <3

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Sarah wrote: "This book would make me scared to tell people that I'm an introvert in case they thought I'm like this character! Please, non-introverts, don't let this book lie to you about what it means to be an..."

EXACTLY. I also see a lot of introvert memes that portray introverts as children (or even like animals??) who like to hide under blankets and behind curtains and need to be lured out with food, and I don't really like that, either. We're just ordinary people who need to wind down after being social. It's not hard to understand!

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell idiffer wrote: "Man, how could I not pick up on so many of the negatives of Cath? And I'm like wired to see fault in the opposite gender. The only things I remember being angry about: the cheating + "fuck original..."

I guffawed at your line about the fanfiction. That was exactly how I felt.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Cordelianne wrote: "I dnf'ed Carry On after 100 pages, because it was terrible, since than I have felt 0 motivation to pick up this book and I am not planning on doing it either. Great review!"

I tried reading CARRY ON too, but it was before I picked up this book, so I had no idea what was going on. Maybe I'll give it another shot....

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell O.R. wrote: "Perfect review. She sounds like the dark side of tumblr and the world in this book as if created by them - for them."

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Sofia wrote: "omg thank you so much !!!!!!! this is the first review i have ever seen where someone hates this book as much as me and for the same reasons . thank you so much and i agree with every word ."

Thank you! :D

message 27: by Bea (new) - added it

Bea iconic.

message 29: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. Nenia wrote: "LOL you know it's funny you should mention Tumblr, because I was totally thinking about Tumblr fans while reading this. ;-)"

I have noticed a long time ago that a lot of YA is written for Tumblr fans. That's their main base. It is "smart" when you think about it, that's where you will find obsessed fans who will love your crap no matter what ;) The authors, I am unsure whether pretending to, or actually are very Tumblr-like, often, too.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell O.R. wrote: "Nenia wrote: "LOL you know it's funny you should mention Tumblr, because I was totally thinking about Tumblr fans while reading this. ;-)"

I have noticed a long time ago that a lot of YA is writte..."

Yeah, smart from a marketing perspective, sure, but ugh- when you read it, it sure comes across as pandering haha. ;-)

message 31: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. Totally!

message 32: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. I find it funny when they later complain that YA is looked down on, as if it wasn’t as good as fiction and any other genre - well because it’s not. It’s written for a specific base for cash. That’s it.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Yeah. I completely agree. Looking through my YA shelf (https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...), I'm noticing that a lot of my favorites are the ones that are raw and edgy and daring and adult, that don't "talk down" or "hand hold" in the narrative. Two contemporary ones I really enjoyed were THE HATE U GIVE and AMERICAN PANDA, and THE WINNER'S CURSE was also amazing, as was THE IMMORTAL RULES.

message 34: by O.R. (last edited Dec 25, 2017 02:49PM) (new) - added it

O.R. There are a few authors who want to write good books in YA, not YA books for tumblr to get cash, fanarts, fanfics, and obsessed fans who won't let anybody criticise their stories, and love them forever which means book deal after book deal.
You could check out Andrew Smith, I always recommend him as good YA.

[YA loves preaching and telling you what to think, I think it is what I hate about it the most! Especially since it is always author's biased thoughts and excusing horrible behaviours]

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell I've definitely noticed some YA fans can be quite rude. That makes me sad, especially when I see my friends getting harassed on their reviews. I don't think the authors can really help that, though, apart from discouraging it when it comes to their attention.

But yes, there's definitely a preachy aspect to some YA stories, which makes them seem heavy-handed. I like books that cause me to think instead of telling me what to think. Going back to my original examples, I think that's why I really enjoyed THE HATE U GIVE and AMERICAN PANDA: they had great messages and delved into tough subjects, but the authors left a lot of those messages up to the reader to infer.

message 36: by O.R. (new) - added it

O.R. Sometimes it is author's fault - they attack fans themselves.

Those are the best stories, it means the author trusted their story was good enough that they did not need to tell the reader what to think. Sometimes it is so blatant the author knows exactly what the readers would think and then tries to tell them to think different.

Carolyne Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book would make me scared to tell people that I'm an introvert in case they thought I'm like this character! Please, non-introverts, don't let this book lie to you about what it ..."

If people treated me like the characters in these comics treat introverts/socialphobes, I'd feel worse off in social situations then I'd would if it was a friend trying to drag me to a party for the sake of getting over the social inhibitions that I have. I don't think certain corners of Tumblr get that and we're not all precious cinnamon rolls wanting to be cuddled until the people go away.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Carolyne wrote: "Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "Sarah wrote: "This book would make me s..."

Exactly! I wish I could put that on a t-shirt:

"I AM NOT YOUR PRECIOUS CINNAMON ROLL."

Alma Q Sorry it wasn't for you, but (as usual) you give good reasons for why you didn't like it x I rolled my eyes at the ending (and "romance") too, but liked seeing a non-judgmental portrayal of an obviously disturbed teen and - as an identical twin myself - also enjoyed some of the things in Cath and Wren's relationship.

Sad to hear there apparently isn't nearly enough decent introvert rep available there for this not to read terribly for you for that reason alone. I don't think the thought that Cath's introversion might have been used to make some kind of point about introverts in general even crossed my mind, but then, here it tends to be extroversion that needs more explaining....

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Thanks, Alma! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the book. Hopefully I can find my ideal introvert story soon. <3

Tani ~Hiatus~ Thanks for your honest review. It saved me trouble to read the book. I'm sorry for you. I hope your next read will be better.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Taniksha wrote: "Thanks for your honest review. It saved me trouble to read the book. I'm sorry for you. I hope your next read will be better."

Thank you Taniksha!

message 43: by Mizuki (new)

Mizuki I had heard about this book but how it treats fandom and fanfic sounds very insulting and silly so I never read it, and by goodness, who would turn in your fanfic for your writing class homework? Can she at least change the names and the setting a bit to save her own skin? Like, Cassie Clare had done?

message 44: by KristynRene (new)

KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books This honestly has me worried about every single person who has loved this book....

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I can't stand the author's books. You sound a lot like me with being an introvert. I'm the exact same way. I am actually an outgoing person but must have my down time in order to do it all over again the next day. There's nothing better being in my room after a long day at work or classes and reading/watching TV/a movie/just being in my element. :)

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Mizuki wrote: "I had heard about this book but how it treats fandom and fanfic sounds very insulting and silly so I never read it, and by goodness, who would turn in your fanfic for your writing class homework? C..."

Right? Omg, it was so ridiculous. Pure wish fulfillment dreck.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell KristynRene wrote: "This honestly has me worried about every single person who has loved this book...."

I mean at the end of the day, we like what we like. I don't begrudge the people who liked the book, but I do take issue with the book itself and how it represents introverts and fandoms. Hopefully the people who read it take it with a grain of salt.

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Sarah wrote: "I can't stand the author's books. You sound a lot like me with being an introvert. I'm the exact same way. I am actually an outgoing person but must have my down time in order to do it all over aga..."

So true!!!

Rachel Reads Ravenously *Quickly unfriends you* JKJK I love this book, but I totally get it. Great review Nenia :)

Nenia ☠️ Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Protector of Out of Print Gems, Mother of Smut, and Actual Garbage Can ☠️ Campbell Rachel Reads Ravenously wrote: "*Quickly unfriends you* JKJK I love this book, but I totally get it. Great review Nenia :)"

LOL, nice one, Rachel! Thanks. :D