Nadia's Reviews > No Earls Allowed

No Earls Allowed by Shana Galen

The book started good enough. The heroine is in an unusual position for a noblewoman in that era and her love interest is a war hero. Sounds exciting. And it mostly is. Some of the action scenes in there are really good, had me holding my breath. There's not one boring moment in this book. Stuff is constantly happening, things are moving and I became completely engrossed with the story and the characters, that when someone in the story mentioned it's been two days since the main characters were introduced, I was taken by surprise. To me, it seemed much more time had passed.
The physical chemistry between the characters is off the charts. Their attraction to each other is well described, you can feel it and I enjoyed reading it.

My enjoyment was diminished, however, by the characters and their actions and decisions, that were mostly either annoying, frustrating or just plain dumb.

Juliana is an earl's daughter and also a matron of an orphanage that is in dire need of help. It's quite a risk that she's taking because she might face ruination if the ton finds out and also because the orphanage is located in a pretty shady part of London.
I liked that about her. The author did an amazing job of showing us how deeply she cares for the boys there and even their pets. (view spoiler)

She was also in over her head, which is pretty clear from the very start. In comes our hero to save the day, which is where it started going downhill for me. I wasn't a big fan of Neil in the first book either, but I decided to give him a chance because I liked the first book a lot.

Neil seemed the type who likes to control everything and who likes to order people around. Which was okay when he was a Major IN THE ARMY.
I didn't like his arrogance and how he undermined Julia's authority in front of the children. He is there for only a short period of time and I felt he had no right to talk down to Julia, especially not in front of the kids.
Another thing that I really could not stand about him was how he was so hung up on the fact that he's a (view spoiler). It makes the main conflict very predictable, just an unnecessary obstacle, that I think the story could've gone without.

Obviously, I'm not the biggest fan this book will have. But I still love the author and her works, and I'll definitely continue reading the series because I'm quite curious about the rest of the Survivors. Especially Jasper. Here's to hoping he'll get his own happy end someday.

A big thank you to Sourcebooks Casablanca for providing an ARC via NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Earls Allowed.

December 24, 2017 – Shelved
December 24, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 13, 2018 – Started Reading
February 13, 2018 –
1.0% "Finally!!! Exam season is over and I am free again to read all the romance novels. I missed reading."
February 14, 2018 –
30.0% "I feel like if Jasper gets his book, it'll be quite interesting."
February 14, 2018 –
32.0% "Eww what's with the sudden cheesiness?"
February 14, 2018 –
40.0% "Hahhaha oh yeah, right, they've known each other for two days. I completely forgot about that, which is sorta a plus for this book (?)"
February 15, 2018 –
60.0% "Neil seems very inconsistent. He wants to leave but he also wants to control and know everything. I don't like him."
February 15, 2018 –
72.0% "I find it very difficult to take the characters and their dialogue seriously when they continue to refer to each other as Protector and Warrior and whatnot. Like "Protector will save you" or "Warrior can look out for himself." Just silly imo."
February 16, 2018 –
86.0% "This was rather unexpected."
February 16, 2018 –
86.0% "oh.my.god. the heroine just called out the hero for "doing what's best for her". this just removes all the sins I had against her."
February 16, 2018 – Finished Reading