Sabrina Kaye Fox's Reviews > Someone to Love

Someone to Love by Melissa de la Cruz

liked it

Trigger Warning: Self-harm, eating disorders

I'm not really big into contemporary, but this book was a welcome surprise. I received it in the mail, let it sit on my counter for a few days so I could finish another book, then picked this one up.
At first I really thought I wasn't going to be able to get into it. It seemed so cliche, the main character, Liv, seemed too shallow.
Fast-forward to a couple hours later: still in the same spot, still in the same position on the couch. Devouring this book.

While I'm aware of eating disorders, I know I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on them. Cruz invited me into a whole new and horrifying world of bulimia, and left me with more knowledge than I had before reading.
It hurts me to know there are people out there suffering with this. It hurts me even more to know that I can't be there to help everyone, and that people fall victim to this horrible disease every day thinking that they're all alone in this world. This world is heavy and painful, and I wish it were a softer place for everyone so no one would have to deal with these things in their lives.

I really like the theme of Olivia being an artist in her tightly-wound political family. The opening to the chapters included inspirational quotes by famous painters like Gogh or Kahlo. The chapters are short and easy to get through, so it spurs you on from one to the other.

I feel like this is a book I should share with people who have really self-deprecating thoughts or mental illnesses, as it was a story of hope and wisdom to me that I really, thoroughly enjoyed.

Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions herein are of my own and are not swayed by any outside factors.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Someone to Love.

December 23, 2017 – Started Reading