Sophia Triad's Reviews > Styxx

Styxx by Sherrilyn Kenyon

bookshelves: mythology-gods-semigods, afterlife, demons, favorites, 1paranormal-lovestories

I don’t know what horrors haunt you, but I know that you haven’t allowed them to destroy the most beautiful part of yourself. You have the heart of a lion. Fearless. Tell me what is manlier than that?

This is one of these rare books that I am absolutely sure that I will NEVER EVER read again. For obvious reasons as I will explain. I feel emotionally exhausted. It had been only August 28, 9533 BC and I wanted to start taking antidepressants.

This review will be full of spoilers for two reasons:
1. Most have already read Acheron
2. There are spoilers everywhere by everyone

This review will also be long. Because this is a long book and it is completely packed with events and feelings. And because this is one of these books that I will never be able to get out of my mind and this review will be my catharsis.

Basically the story of Styxx is delivered in two parts:
1. Part One
June 19, 9548 BC to June 26, 9527 BC
i.e. when he was a boy
And
2. Part Two
AD January 3, 2004 to September 21, 2013
i.e. when he already is an ancient

So the review will have two parts

REVIEW FOR PART 1: 9548 BC TO 9527 BC
Styxx as a young boy (or ‘the whole world against Styxx’ or ‘Styxx in the role of the punching bag’ or ‘Styxx as a deprived whore’ or ‘Styxx loses chunks of reality because of the drugs’)

Well… here it goes. The story of Styxx is sad. And dark. It is the saddest and darkest story so far in the Dark Hunters and I think that it is not possible that there can any story more intense and extreme after this one.

If you have read even just one book from the Dark Hunters’ series, you will know that all the main characters had suffered severely, before they became the untouchable larger than life heroes: Death of their beloved one, rapes, mutilations, torturing, horrible useless deaths without honor most of the times. All of these before they come back from death wiser, stronger and forceful after taking their revenge.
So think of these Dark Hunters’ stories,
Think of your emotions when you read them,
Think of the darkness and the feelings of sympathy about them,
Think of your relief when they get their revenge,
Think of the happiness when they get someone that loves them and they have their HEA

and
Multiply all these emotions and feelings by 100 when you read Acheron’’s book
and
Multiply all these emotions and feelings by 1000 when you read Styxx’s book.

I cannot lie. When I was reading the first part when Acheron and Styxx were children; I was so angry with Sherrilyn Kenyon. I thought we were friends (hahaha I wish). How could she do this to me? How could she fool me like that? I thought that this stupid bitch Ryssa was actually a really nice person who was thinking only the best in people. And I had forgiven all the stupid mistakes that she did in the book of Acheron. I had forgotten somehow that because of her a whole civilization was forced to die young or if they didn’t die young they could not face the light of the day again. Of course in Acheron we had only her point of view in the beginning. We did not know that she was a bipolar bitch.

Now, we have Styxx’ point of view. And everything becomes a bit clearer. Thus, when I survived the initial shock; I had to go through the actual story of Styxx.
And trust me, you may need antidepressants in order to read his story.

We basically see world through Styxx’ eyes. And it is not a nice world. Styxx can see only his personal flaws and shortcomings. Nobody loves him. Everyone lusts after him. He is cursed. You may say that this is exactly what happened to Acheron. The problem is that Styxx is just a victim of fate. He was not a God like Acheron was. He was supposed to grow up and become a great king in Didymos. Instead he had a fate cruelest than his brother. And he was completely lonely and miserable because there was no sympathy for him. He was never supposed to be the victim.

Unfortunately Styxx never talked. He was listening to the insults of his father, his mother and his sister and he never talked back. He was rarely sarcastic. He was always backhanded by someone (mostly his father and sister) and stabbed a few times by his lovely family.
Honestly there were times that I would love to backhand him as well with this victim attitude (Sorry Styxx’s fans). Sh!t happens in life. Get your sh!t together and move on for god’s sake! You cannot die anyway. Stop this ‘Oh why should I bother?’ attitude!
Styxx was such a weak,tender hero who never thought of revenge.

As a result the two brothers, the two toughest and strongest men on Earth, will be almost equally tortured. Their country should have been thriving. Instead there was one catastrophe after the other.

The book is full with graphic details. Much more than Acheron’s book. And I am sure there is a new record in raping scenes.

The first time we see Styxx is through Bethany’s eyes. And he is magnificent:

She came around a tent and froze as she caught sight of the infamous Didymosian prince, Styxx. While she’d heard his name countless times, she’d never seen him before.
Arrogant snot. That was her first thought as she saw him swathed in his expensive black armor with a bright red chlamys, and rigidly perched on the back of an exceptional black stallion. His regal pride bled from every pore of his body. Still, he cut a gorgeous picture as the light breeze ruffled his unruly blond curls that gave him an unorthodox, boyish appearance. Dark brown brows slashed above intelligent eyes so blue they matched the Aegean Sea for clarity and vibrance. His stern expression made his cheekbones sharp and well sculpted. Too young for a full beard, he held the lightest bit of dark brown dusting around his chin and upper lip.
He was truly a thing of great beauty.

But he had to be magnificent. He is Acheron’s twin brother. His identical image. All the worms around him loved to belittle him and make him suffer so that they would feel superior.

After I finished the first part of the book, I was almost shouting
Burn the damn Didimos to the ground!
Burn the damn Atlantis!
Burn the damn Olympus!

Triggers: Child abuse, Child molest, Multiple rapes continually (don’t think that after the first few, everything will stop); rape drugs; incest; incest and rape at the same time; gang rape; mutilation; extreme torturous mind games (belittling, insulting, emotional blackmail, general blackmail); bulling; actual torturing (burning, branding, bleeding, hair removal, beating, caning, whipping etc.).

I try to think some of my dark reads; and I cannot think of a darkest story.

REVIEW FOR PART 2: Eleven Thousand, Five Hundred and Thirty-One Years Later
Styxx as a free man (or ‘Styxx finally has family’ or ‘Brother, how could you be that wrong?’)

Ok, so in second part things are toned down. Styxx is still is a martyr, but thank god there are not the triggers in this part of the book that made you what to throw up in the first part of the book.
This is actually a typical Dark Hunters book. Much shorter that the first part. The main hero wants revenge and a happily ever after. And this is what he will get. Bad things will stay in the past and finally FINALLY he will get some retribution and an “I am sorry” from the person that he loves almost the same as his wife and his mentor.

The two brother had been two broken boys , the two halves of a whole who were constantly mistreated and were constantly told lies (especially Acheron). Now that they are men and they know the truth, they will try to find a common ground.

“Tory, if I’ve done what I think I have, I don’t know how I’ll live with it.”

I did not hate Acheron after Styxx’s book. Acheron had an extremely cruel youth. He was a whore before Styxx become one. And he was whoring himself for thousands years in order to save his dark hunters.

“Why can’t I just hate you?”

Styxx was a philosopher, a poet, a gentle soul. He became a warrior because he was also a survivor. He only wanted someone to love him.

Favorite quotes from the book: Every time Styxx talks to Beth about his love for her.
“As long as I make you smile, I will always be a fool for the woman I love.”
“You love me?”
“Like the full moon loves the night. I might always be around, but I only shine in your presence.
And no matter where you go, I will follow you, even if I’m a million miles away.” He’d held her hand to his chest for her to feel his heart beating. “And this part of me will never belong to anyone else. I don’t give gifts lightly and I never take them back.”

And

The tenderness in those blue eyes for her. The love and pain. It seared her. He buried himself deep inside her body. “Never once in my life did I feel sunshine on my skin until the day you touched me,” he breathed in her ear. “And without my Bethany, I dwell in total darkness.”
Her throat tightened. “I’ve missed my poet so.” No one had ever talked to her the way he did. He could be so bashful and clumsy and at the same time so eloquent and graceful. It was what she loved most about him. He was always unexpected.
In that moment, her body erupted with pleasure. Arching her back, she cried out as he thrust harder and deeper, giving her more pleasure until he finally joined her there. His breathing ragged, he shook in her arms. “I love you with all my heart, Beth”

Lastly I don’t know if it is in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s plans; but I would love to read a book about Artemis. I want to read her point of view.

I just only want to say that I could give easily either 1 star or 5 stars. Nothing between.
I think I will settle to 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Styxx.

December 23, 2017 – Started Reading
December 23, 2017 – Shelved
January 10, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: mythology-gods-semigods
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: afterlife
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: demons
January 22, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
February 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 1paranormal-lovestories

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen I can't wait to hear what you think about Styxx's book! Good reading Sophia, I do hope you will enjoy it!! xoxo

message 2: by Sophia (last edited Jan 05, 2018 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sophia Triad Jen wrote: "I can't wait to hear what you think about Styxx's book! Good reading Sophia, I do hope you will enjoy it!! xoxo"

I have paused it for a while, but I plan to start it again this weekend :)

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Well I hope you recover fast Sophia ;-) xx

Sophia Triad Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Well I hope you recover fast Sophia ;-) xx"

I am trying to focus and read Blood Fury by Ward, but I cannot really concentrate hahaha
I think I will have to finish Styxx' review first and try to stop thinking about him and his sad existence LOL

message 5: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Terrific review, Sophia! 💚

Denise H. Fabulous review sweet Sophia ! :) x I loved this whole series. It's been awhile, but I've never forgotten the enormity of the actions and emotions. My daughter loved the series, too.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Brilliant review Sophia!!! You were spot on in your observations!! And I fully agree with having to take meds to get through this book! Lol!

message 8: by Judi (last edited Jan 15, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Judi Easley Wow! Have an opinion? You didn't feel very strongly about this one, did you, Sophia? I must say, I'm not even slightly tempted to read the first part of the book now. I might consider reading the second part to see how the two brothers end it. The first part just sounds like more than my meds can handle. Great review BTW!

Sophia, sorry joking sarcasm doesn't come over in a text. Hope this didn't sound aggressive to you. This was really jokingly snarky.

Sophia Triad Nazanin wrote: "Terrific review, Sophia! 💚"

Thank you Nazanin! 💋❤

Sophia Triad Denise wrote: "Fabulous review sweet Sophia ! :) x I loved this whole series. It's been awhile, but I've never forgotten the enormity of the actions and emotions. My daughter loved the series, too."

Thank you Denise! It is an incredible series :) ❤

message 11: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Excellent review Sophia. Although I don't think I could have handled the first part of the book its way to much for my enjoyment.

message 12: by Aisling Zena (new) - added it

Aisling Zena Awesome review Sophia! And here I thought the worst was Acherons book. I don't think I'm gonna go back to this series for a long time. xx

Sophia Triad Aisling Zena wrote: "Awesome review Sophia! And here I thought the worst was Acherons book. I don't think I'm gonna go back to this series for a long time. xx"

If you through that Acheron had suffered tremendously and nonstop; wait until you read Styxx's book.

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Great review, love!!! xoxo

Sophia Triad Judi wrote: "Wow! Have an opinion? You didn't feel very strongly about this one, did you, Sophia? I must say, I'm not even slightly tempted to read the first part of the book now. I might consider reading the s..."

Hahaha Thanks Judi! ❤❤

Sophia Triad Jen wrote: "Brilliant review Sophia!!! You were spot on in your observations!! And I fully agree with having to take meds to get through this book! Lol!"

Thanks Jen! Awesome book :) 💋

Sophia Triad Leigh wrote: "Excellent review Sophia. Although I don't think I could have handled the first part of the book its way to much for my enjoyment."

Thanks Leigh! :) xx

message 18: by Joud (new)

Joud Fantastic review Sophia!! glad you loved it :D

Sophia Triad Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ wrote: "Great review, love!!! xoxo"

Thanks Danielle! ❤❤

Sophia Triad Joud wrote: "Fantastic review Sophia!! glad you loved it :D"

Thanks Joud! ❤❤