✨ jamieson ✨'s Reviews > The Last Magician

The Last Magician by Lisa   Maxwell

I FINALLY FOUND A SERIES TO FILL THE "IM WAITING FOR THE DIVINERS BOOK 4" HOLE IN MY HEART, GOD BLESS.

I picked this up on a whim because the audiobook sample sounded good and I needed a book about a heist or thieves for a ReadAThon prompt. I ended up loving it SO MUCH. This book has so many things I love, let us tick them off: historical fantasy, early 20th-century setting, magicians, secret societies and gangs, angsty romance, heists, thieves, morally grey characters, and PLOT TWISTS ALL OVER THE PLACE. And, it's got The Diviners vibes to the max.

“his life might have been built on illusions, but his death would be his greatest trick. ”

The Last Magician follows Esta, a thief and magician from modern day New York with an affinity for time. In her New York, magic has been all but wiped out, due to the growing power and influence of an anti-magic group called The Order. But Esta has a chance to stop the order when she is sent back in time, to 1902 New York, to retrieve an ancient book holding the secrets of magic that was destroyed by a magician in the time. Doing so will allow her to stop The Order and destroy the Brink, a dark energy barrier around the island of Manhattan, trapping the magicians inside. But to find the book Esta will have to infiltrate a gang, locate the magician, steal the book, and get back to her own time without getting caught up in the past.

“Regret was for people who dragged their past along with them everywhere”

I really loved what Lisa Maxwell did with this book. She dropped us into a world and just let the tension slowly build. I really enjoyed how we follow Esta in 1902 and don't know anything that is going on, just like her. The way Maxwell weaves together the worldbuilding, the characters and the plot was GREAT. I saw some people say this was boring and had nothing happening but I disagree - Maxwell doesn't need Things to be happening exactly because there is so much happening with the world and the characters, and the tension and plot movement all comes from how everyone is interacting with this world which is - literally trying to kill them. But that aside, I thought this did have excellent plot elements - gangs, heists, secret societies, weapons of mass destruction. I really enjoyed it from beginning to end. ESPECIALLY, the end.

I just loved the whole world of this book. The set up of New York and the way magic existed in this world was so interesting. I loved the set up of all the magicians being trapped in Manhattan, and how that was affecting the dynamics between the different magic users. The different gangs, and groups, and the exploration of their cultures was also great. I really, really love books that explore how culture develops in groups isolated from the rest of society, and in survival circumstances. I also thought Maxwell did a good job at creating a range of characters who exist in the same conditions but react to and interact with the world so differently. Plus, the 1900s setting was great because I love historical fiction and just like, having fun running amok in history.

“Find the Magician,” he told her. “And stop him before he destroys our future.”

I loved the characters in this too! (I’m SORRY I’m just saying I loved I loved I loved to everything but I can’t help it I loved this book). All of them were well written and complex. Most had more of a dark side than anything but their stories and motivations were compelling. Again, I liked that Maxwell slowly revealed their character depths and backstories. Everyone in this is basically a little bit morally skewed due to their situation and I thought Maxwell really drew that out for the reader in an interesting way.

Esta ➤ Our main character. She’s a thief and a magician with an affinity for time. Adopted by another magician and living in a kind of X-Men style school for magicians, she is sent back in time to find the book her adoptive father needs to save the magicians of her time. I loved Esta!! She’s a bit reckless and unruly at times, and a bit stubborn too but I loved her heart and her charisma! She definitely takes what she wants and I just loved how much she stuck up for herself?? and didn’t give a fuck?? iconic legend?? Anyways she was easily my favourite I love her.

Dolpe ➤ Leader of the gang Esta infiltrates. Dolphe is hard to pin down in terms of characterisation but I found him intriguing. Of all the characters, he is probably the on working most in shades of grey and it was INTERESTING.

Harte ➤ A magician who used to work for Dolphe, who Dolphe wants to rejoin the gang to help with their heist. Harte is an interesting character .. I’m not sure if I 100% like him yet? Some actions were .. iffy. But I LOVED his dynamic with Esta. The two have such a hate/love thing going on, it reminds me of Evie and Sam from the Diviners. But I really loved their banter and their scenes together were fun. Harte has the potential to be sweet so I have big hopes for the next book.

Viola ➤ Member of the gang and an assassin. Her brother works for a rival gang trying to take Dolphe down. She is also a lesbian. I wish she had been in it more because she’s cool and we deserved more scenes of her and Esta together though the few they had were GREAT.

Nibsy ➤ Dolphe’s right-hand man who takes Esta under his wing. I LOVED NIBS AS A CHARACTER. He is the kind of character I always enjoy (sweet but is also kinda a weasel) Not sure why but I always find them interesting. Like Dolphe, Nibs is a character who kinda has more depth than is revealed which I enjoyed about his character too.

“They were sitting on opposite sides of the board, playing each other in hopes of gaining the same prize.”

I have seen some mixed reviews of the next book but I'm trying not to let them get me down because I have HIGH HOPES. Maxwell has spun such a unique and fun tale here and set up the plot in a way that is going to just lead to more and more reveals. I barely even covered the whole expanse of the plot in this book but there's going to be SO MUCH happening in book two and I'm excited.

I really loved this book, it drew me in and then just kept the tension and the reveals coming. Maxwell doesn't hand you everything, but I liked her ability to slowly unspool the story and keep me guessing. I was engaged right until the very end, and this managed to excite me in a way I haven't been excited about a new series in a while, so hooray !

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Magician.

December 23, 2017 – Shelved
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: queer-side-characters
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: series
April 25, 2019 – Shelved as: series-to-complete
April 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

preoccupiedbybooks Ha I really want to read both of those series! I have this and devil's thief saved on Scribd but the third one doesn't even have a release date 😭 Maybe I will start it anyway... Glad you loved it 😊

Cassandra {semi-hiatus} Thank you so much for your review! This book wasn't even on my radar but then I saw "the hole in my heart caused by waiting for the next Diviners book" and I am so here for this. Amazon here I come!

Lance I need to reread this book before starting the next one, but fingers crossed you won’t be disappointed by the next one!

✨    jamieson   ✨ preoccupiedbybooks wrote: "Ha I really want to read both of those series! I have this and devil's thief saved on Scribd but the third one doesn't even have a release date 😭 Maybe I will start it anyway... Glad you loved it 😊"

Start The Diviners I love the entire series so much!! I hope The Devils Thief is also good but I've heard mixed things. Hopefully we get a release date for book 3 of this series soon though

✨    jamieson   ✨ Cassandra {semi-hiatus} wrote: "Thank you so much for your review! This book wasn't even on my radar but then I saw "the hole in my heart caused by waiting for the next Diviners book" and I am so here for this. Amazon here I come!"

YESSS. Same actually!! It wasn't really on my radar but some people said it reminds them of The Diviners and its TRUE. I hope you love it!

✨    jamieson   ✨ Lance wrote: "I need to reread this book before starting the next one, but fingers crossed you won’t be disappointed by the next one!"

I hope to start it soon, please don't let me down the devils thief PLS