Lindsay's Reviews > Tar Beach

Tar Beach by Faith Ringgold

Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: picture-books

The illustrations in this story are absolutely mesmerizing. I love the thick, acrylic paintings and quilt border that outlines the bottom of each page. The illustrations are simple and child-like, which mirrors the way the narrator (a young girl) sees the world. Not only are the pictures interesting, but the message this story communicates is one that many young and old people can relate to. Cassie, the main character and narrator, shares her hopes for a better life for her family and depicts the colorful and hopeful imagination of a young child. I love that Cassie describes her rooftop in the city as a "tar beach" where she flies to new places and accomplishes things she can only imagine in her dreams. One of the best parts of this book, besides its' illustrations, is the way the author's history and struggles are weaved into the story and it's characters. The language is easy for young children to understand and the message is simple and clear. Very rarely do we see a child's hopes and dreams revolve around the success and equality of their family. Cassie observes the injustice around her and dreams of creating a better life for her family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tar Beach.