Deborah J Miles's Reviews > A Good Night's Sleep

A Good Night's Sleep by Stefanie Simpson

bookshelves: 2017-dectheshelves-read, recomendations

** spoiler alert ** I downloaded this book based on the visible description on Amazon, which reads:

...Effie Baxter leaves home for a new life in Chadford city after a devastating humiliation at the hands of her ex, leaving her family and best friend behind. Friendly and sweet, she knocks on her new neighbour's door to make friends. Except the man who opens that door is miserable and mean, but gorgeous...

It sounds innocuous enough doesn't it? I should have read the section hidden behind the 'read more' link which provides the warning of strong language, strong adult themes, and explicit content throughout.

I was quite a way into the book when I suddenly thought, 'Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!' But it was too late, and I was heavily invested in the characters. Strong language doesn't overly bother me as it seems to be everywhere these days, but the 'adult themes'... well let's just say, it's not my usual reading material.

I probably would not have chosen this book, had I read the warning. So it was a good thing that I didn't see it. I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The characters are engaging and I wanted to see Stuart and Effie get together long before it got a bit steamy... and some!

There were a couple of things missed during proofreading, but story is well-written nonetheless and it never got to the point where I thought I could not carry on reading it because of the topics covered. I would recommend this book to the open-minded reader.

Reviews on Goodreads suggest it's something readers either loved or loathed. I loved it and have downloaded 'The Way Home (New City Series #2)' which comes with the warning: contains frequent explicit material, language, and adult content throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Night's Sleep.

December 22, 2017 – Shelved