Kirsti's Reviews > The Crimson Petal and the White

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: anger, fiction, historical-fiction, hissy-fits
Read in January, 2005

What a fantastic book. Surprising, exciting, raunchy, heartbreaking, even funny in places: "[Sugar knows] little French and no German, [her mother] having been of the opinion that men are partial to a bit of French on a girl's tongue, but that German sounds like old clergymen vomiting." Also, I laughed when one character fantasized about smacking another character in the face repeatedly with a piss-soaked slipper.

At one point, from the hints the author was dropping, I thought this was going to be a bizarre retread of Jane Eyre. I'm glad he took things in another direction instead.

I am not usually a fan of huge sprawling historical novels, but this is definitely the exception (okay, this and The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman).

The discussion questions at the end are interesting but very, very leading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crimson Petal and the White.

12/30/2016 marked as: read

F.R. I am reading it now and greatly enjoying.

Cecily Wonderful, isn't it? But be wary of your love for this leading you to The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories. It's a collection of short stories related to this, but although many have enjoyed those diversions, others (including me) found them a horrid dilution of the original, answering questions that were best left unanswered.

Kirsti Cecily wrote: "Wonderful, isn't it? But be wary of your love for this leading you to The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories. It's a collection of short stories related to this, but although many have ..."

Thanks for the advice, Cecily!