SJ's Reviews > Thumped

Thumped by Megan McCafferty

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, ya, speculative-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read October 17, 2018 to October 18, 2018.

re-read 2018. worse on second reading, but Bumped was better on second reading so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ original review below:
***********************
What I liked most about Bumped was the way religion was part of the dystopia. I could relate to Harmony's quoting verses and referring to the explanations the Elders of Goodside gave for circumstances and proper behaviors, because they were familiar to me and were believable as a way that a segment of society would react to the Virus. I felt like the first book did a good job of making the situations, ethics, and what the "right" or "godly" thing to do was complicated. But in this sequel, there really wasn't much of that questioning going on. There was a great quote, where Harmony, referring to the church leaders who are about to shun her, says "For such black-and-white thinkers, I am too much gray." But nothing philosophical, theological, or social was really explored in this book. The plot twists became a little ridiculous and everything was too predictable and easily resolved. I basically predicted all the major 'twists' early on. It was a fast read, but not because it was compelling, just because it was short and by the time I was halfway through I knew I wanted to finish it so as to be able to get on to something better next. A disappointing installment to a series that I thought started off with more potential. But, I will probably read the next one, and it is a lot better than Wither.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thumped.

October 11, 2011 – Shelved
July 4, 2012 – Started Reading
July 4, 2012 –
73.0% "so annoying. shallow characters & predictable, uncompelling drama. reading to be done with it."
July 4, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopian