tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > This Little Light of Mine - Novenas for You

This Little Light of Mine - Novenas for You by Moe Bowstern

liked it
bookshelves: artists-books

Some of you may know Moe Bowstern as the fisherwoman editor of "Xtra Tuf" - the 'zine she does about commercial fishing. She introduces this project:

"It was Kate Mat who started it off, I visited her in Chicago and she showed off her collection of home made candles. She had different things she worked on and often did diligent research to locate the various dieties that might help her on her way. She made a nice one for Xtra Tuf # 1, the zine I do about commercial fishing, and I burned it up in Kodiak Alaska whenever we needed a little extra help. It worked, too. Even my skeptical, Norweigian-trained skipper noticed. The year I fished cod with him he actually commissioned me to make a cod-catching candle and darned if we didn't get on a hot bite every time we burned it. But it was Fred's first boat, and after some extremely scornful sideways remarks about the utter foolishness of candles on boats from Fred's father-in-law, we put it away."

One of the images in the bk intended to be colored & wrapped around a wishing candle is of a sneaker w/ wings labelled "Mercury" & identified as the "god of Thieves and Travellers". This is "to promote: Stealth, Swiftness, Invisibility, Calm, Common Sense, Adaptability" & "to Protect against: Breakdowns, Indecision, Self-Doubt, Harassment, Cops, Video Cameras".

Even for an ardent unbeliever like myself, I found this a charming publication - aided & abetted by having Pittsburgh's Third Termite Letterpress print the covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Little Light of Mine - Novenas for You.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Artnoose (new)

Artnoose McMoose I love this dear publication. I think I traded with Moe for a copy years ago. Sadly, I have always been conflicted between keeping the copy intact and actually using the pages for what they're meant for. I never can bring myself to cut it up.

tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE Yeah, I've never cut mine up either - but, then, I don't usually use candles. IF I were to ever use the pages for the purpose intended I'd photocopy them & use the copies instead. Good thing we don't have the same attitude toward food, eh? We'd starve!