Matt Smith's Reviews > Catch Me

Catch Me by Lisa Gardner

Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, mystery-suspense, summer-reading
Read from July 20 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

If you knew you only had one year until someone was going to murder you, what would you do?

In Catch Me, Boston detective D.D. Warren is right in the middle of a murder investigation when she's approached by Charlene Grant with a bizarre request: Charlene believes in four days someone will kill her and she wants D.D. to find her murderer. But Charlene isn't going out that easy. She's spent the last 12 months preparing — boxing, running, shooting. One way or the other, Charlene's going out fighting.

As always, you can expect Lisa Gardner, the queen of where-to-best-hide-dead-bodies, to be at the top of her game, driving us deep into Charlene's own pathology and pulling no punches on some gruelingly difficult subjects. I found some of the most gripping parts of the story involved 7-year-old Jesse. Lisa Gardner does an amazing job writing from his perspective, underscoring is naiveness, vulnerability and desire for acceptance (let's face it, we all remember how difficult it is at that age).

The D.D. Warren series has always made me think, "I wish I could write this good!", and Catch Me is no exception. The one thing I've come to learn about Lisa Gardner's writing is this: if you think you're figuring it out, you're wrong — every time — until the end. And that's what the best thrillers are made of!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch Me.