Amy's Reviews > Fates and Furies

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

Overall, I very much enjoyed Fates and Furies but can somewhat understand why others didn't (though at first was initially surprised by average review).

Partly I think I probably benefited from not having any hype before or expectations of "literary genius" - never helpful.

Also, it's a style I really like but know is quite love/hate - lots of scattered snapshots throughout someone's life. I like dipping in and out, seeing how life has changed, having little cleverly written details which reveal bits and pieces of the characters. And I quite liked the changing pace, with some sections low key and some tense or dramatic, instead of each snapshot being some huge plot point.

I really liked having the reveals of a different perspective in the second half, especially as Mathilde was quite a mysterious character in the first half, and it was really enjoyable to have the gaps filled, things click into place, questions answered, her motivations fleshed out etc. As it was third person, it felt a different take on the idea of unreliable narrators, something I personally adore in books but again know is very love/hate. And while some of the "twists" it brought I could have done without, unnecessary shocks for no real benefit to character development (main reason it isn't five stars), the majority were great and very satisfying for me.

I personally think it's beautifully written, though I can see how some would find it pretentious at times (and I could have done without a fair chunk of the inserted plays etc). After ten minutes or so getting into the style, I loved reading it - each time I planned to just read a little but would be there much longer. I think you'll know if you like the writing style or not within the first 1-2 hours, so I'd definitely recommend giving it at least that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fates and Furies.

December 20, 2017 – Started Reading