destiny ♎ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Undead Girl Gang

Undead Girl Gang by Lily  Anderson

If I can recommend one YA mystery to you, it’s this one. I’m honestly not usually a big fan of YA mysteries—most of them fall short for me in a big way—but this was such a wildly enjoyable, hilarious, heartbreaking, and gorgeous little story. While most mystery novels are about the destination (discovering the whodunit), this one is about the journey, and the things Mila learns along the way. It’s about grieving, friendship, overcoming your judgments, and so much more.

I did big, real magic using a bunch of flowers and an old-ass book, and I feel just as lonely now as I did when my best friend was dead.

It’s rare that I read a book that can present gallows humor in a solid way, but it’s fantastic in this narrative, and as someone whose humor tends to lean on the incredibly morbid and dry side, I honestly adored Mila. I feel like she and I would legitimately be best friends and I’m a little bit sad that she’s not an actual human being, in my life.

Two days is a long time when you can’t sleep or eat because remembering that your best friend is gone slams into you whenever you think you’re safe from it.

Of course, there’s also a tremendous amount of sadness in Undead Girl Gang; after all, we’re talking about teenagers dropping like flies, and not only that, but we’re dealing with the narrator’s own best friend of several years being one of those teens. I was taken aback a few times by how palpable Mila’s grief was, especially mingled with the desperation she has to convince the adults in her life that these girls didn’t kill themselves.

I’m so tired of adults using hyperbole to try to keep me in my place. I’m not crazy. I’m not too angry. I’m fine just the way I am.

Of course, there’s a lot of happiness and important conversation to be had in this story, too. We get to watch two of the school’s “mean girls” come to terms with their own abusive behaviors, and any potential for girl on girl hate is squashed quickly, as Mila is an incredibly forgiving and considerate person beneath her sarcasm and rage. I loved watching her friendships with June and Dayton unfold.

Is it possible to be a pagan agnostic?

I gotta admit, as soon as I heard about this book’s rep, I was so stoked. I learned it had Wicca in it, too, and I was sold! I practiced Wicca for years as a teen, and while I don’t practice it anymore, it’s still something that I so rarely see portrayed in a positive light that I get truly eager whenever I see its representation done well. Every person’s experience is different, but I truly enjoyed the Wiccan rep in this book and related really well to it.

“And, for fuck’s sake, stop using ‘normal’ as code for ‘white’,” I snap. “Your life isn’t the ruler that the rest of the world gets measured against.”

As a white woman, I obviously cannot relate to the Latinx rep in this book, or the black rep for one of the side characters, but as the author is Afro-Latinx, I can only say that I loved reading her portrayal of some of the feelings she might go through in a world where so much of society still views “white” and “normal” alongside one another.

“So you… what? Wanna start the fat brown girl clique?”
She cocks her head at me. “Doesn’t that sound dope as hell?”

The last thing I’ll say about the rep is that, as a plus size woman, I was able to relate really hard to the fat rep in this book, and I LIVED for it! I read so few books with plus size protagonists, and it’s even more rare for the rep to be done in a positive and thoughtful light, but this was perfect. As this, too, is own-voice rep, Lily Anderson does an impeccable job of describing so many of the daily microaggressions and difficulties that we deal with, and I was over the moon for it. If you’re a plus size reader looking for a book that mirrors your life experiences—or a non-plus size reader looking for an opportunity to empathize with what others go through on a daily basis—I highly recommend giving this book a try.

Buddy read with the ever so lovely Taylor! ♡

All quotes come from an advance copy and may not match the final release. Thank you so much to Razorbill for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

You can find this review and more on my blog, or you can follow me on twitter, bookstagram, or facebook!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undead Girl Gang.

December 20, 2017 – Shelved
December 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 18, 2018 – Started Reading
April 18, 2018 –
page 89
29.18% "A plus-size Latinx Wiccan protagonist? I love this so much already."
April 19, 2018 –
page 185
60.66% ""You think all the evil in _____ is located in his ass?"

I do not remember the last time a book made me laugh as much as this one!"
April 21, 2018 – Shelved as: own-voice
April 21, 2018 – Shelved as: diverse-reads
April 21, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 21, 2018 – Finished Reading
June 14, 2018 – Shelved as: fat-rep
July 8, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-physical
September 22, 2018 – Shelved as: horror
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

Taylor Let's do this!!! <3

message 2: by Ley (new) - added it

Ley ahhhhh i'm so excited for this book!!!

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Ley wrote: "ahhhhh i'm so excited for this book!!!"

It's SO DAMN GOOD. I laughed out loud so many times.

Katie.dorny Thank you for bringing this book to my attention! It sounds awesome! :)

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Katie.dorny wrote: "Thank you for bringing this book to my attention! It sounds awesome! :)"

You're welcome, love! <3 I hope you like it!

hannah ✧/ᐠ-ꞈ-ᐟ\ (on hiatus) added this to my TBR and I cant wait until it comes out hehe 💜

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] ❁ hannah ❁ ( peanutbutter&books ) wrote: "added this to my TBR and I cant wait until it comes out hehe 💜"

Yaaaay! :D And it comes out soon so you don't have to wait too long, thankfully <3

Kayla Brunson This book was awesome! I loved Mila so much!

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Kayla wrote: "This book was awesome! I loved Mila so much!"

Saaame! She's such a good MC.

Miss Ruark I’m so going to brag: she’s my friend! We work together and she’s so freakin awesome!

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Miss Ruark wrote: "I’m so going to brag: she’s my friend! We work together and she’s so freakin awesome!"

That's so awesome! I feel like she must be hilarious if her writing is that funny. :D

message 12: by Georgia (new) - added it

Georgia Great review!! Looking forward to reading this one

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Georgia wrote: "Great review!! Looking forward to reading this one"

Thank you so much, Georgia! I hope you enjoy it!

Barb (Boxermommyreads) So excited to read this!

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Barb (Boxermommyreads) wrote: "So excited to read this!"

I hope you enjoy it, Barb!

Katie Conigliaro (Katsyxo) Thanks for this review! Do you mind if I link to it in my own? I've been looking for a few ownvoices reviews for the Latinx and fat rep in this book.

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Katie wrote: "Thanks for this review! Do you mind if I link to it in my own? I've been looking for a few ownvoices reviews for the Latinx and fat rep in this book."

Thanks, Katie! Yeah, that's totally fine by me! I'm not Latinx, so you may want to specify that I'm only an own-voice reviewer for the fat rep. :)

Katie Conigliaro (Katsyxo) destiny wrote: "Katie wrote: "Thanks for this review! Do you mind if I link to it in my own? I've been looking for a few ownvoices reviews for the Latinx and fat rep in this book."

Thanks, Katie! Yeah, that's tot..."

Perfect thank you! And no worries I will. I have another review to link for for the Mexican-American rep :) Thank you!

message 19: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Such a lovely and thorough review! I loved it. Do you know if there is LGBTQ Rep? If so, which kind? I heard there is Bi rep but I’m not sure.

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Lori wrote: "Such a lovely and thorough review! I loved it. Do you know if there is LGBTQ Rep? If so, which kind? I heard there is Bi rep but I’m not sure."

Thank you, Lori! ♥ I'm trying to remember, and I can't think of any LGBTQ+ rep in the book at all - I read the ARC, though, so I guess it's possible that it could've been added to the finished copy! I haven't heard of the ARC and finished copy having any major differences like that, though. :)

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas oh, I have this one & am looking forward to reading it soon. Great review - I'm excited to delve in.

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "oh, I have this one & am looking forward to reading it soon. Great review - I'm excited to delve in."

Thank you! ♥ I hope you love it as much as I did! :D

Corinne I put this on hold at my library as soon as I read your review. I just got it yesterday and finished it today! So different from anything I’ve read this year, and so glad I read your review or I probably would never have heard of it. Thanks!!

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Corinne wrote: "I put this on hold at my library as soon as I read your review. I just got it yesterday and finished it today! So different from anything I’ve read this year, and so glad I read your review or I pr..."

Awww, yay! This honestly makes my whole day, Corinne! I'm so glad you loved it!!

Michelle-- Fawn & Fern Books yessss, loved this book too! I feel like we have a very similar taste in books!! <3

destiny ♎ [howling libraries] Michelle-- Fawn & Fern Books wrote: "yessss, loved this book too! I feel like we have a very similar taste in books!! <3"

Yaaaay, so glad you enjoyed it, Michelle! I think we do, too! I checked the "compare books" tool because I was curious and it has us at a 90% similarity. :O That's super high!

Michelle-- Fawn & Fern Books destiny wrote: "Michelle-- Fawn & Fern Books wrote: "yessss, loved this book too! I feel like we have a very similar taste in books!!

holy moly! cheers to future favorite books!