David Schaafsma's Reviews > Klaus

Klaus by Grant Morrison

liked it
bookshelves: christmas, gn-superhero-scifi-fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read November 26, 2018.

If you find typical Christmas tales such as Twas the Night Before Christmas a tad sentimental and cloying, try out this alternative origin story for Santa Claus, an historical fantasy set in the middle ages, featuring a warrior named Klaus who would defeat an Evil Lord Magnus who enslaves his men in mines and cancels Yuletide and toys for children. Klaus, with a touch of psychedelic magic and a very real commitment to Doing Good for the people in this land and especially children, changes all that, with a certain measure of ultra-violence.

Based in part in Norse legend and Siberian Shamanism, Klaus wants to restore yuletide cheer for the people, but in order to do that he must defeat Magnus, the totalitarian dictator who tear gasses child refugees just in time for Christmas (oops, wrong dictator!).

Klaus is one of Grant Morrison's more straightforward and comparatively wholesome tales, with a surprising touch of Christmas spirit and cheer. The art, especially in the depictions of the children, is pretty cartoony, and Klaus has about a size 75 EEEEE comic hero chest (he must have let things slip when he moved to the North Pole, I guess), and the evil Lord (and his son) are cartoonishly crazy evil, making everything a little silly, but it is pretty inventive and fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Klaus.

December 20, 2017 – Started Reading
December 20, 2017 – Shelved
December 20, 2017 – 0.0% "A dark and weird origin story about Santa Claus more informed by the sinister Krampus than St Nicholas. ..."
December 24, 2017 – Shelved as: christmas
December 24, 2017 – Shelved as: gn-superhero-scifi-fantasy
December 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 26, 2018 – Started Reading
November 26, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Zedsdead Man, that doesn't sound like Grant Morrison at all.

I've been looking forward to this title but "straightforward and comparatively wholesome" is not what I was hoping for. My interest is somewhat tempered.

David Schaafsma Well, this is a quirky read. Not outrageous enough, maybe. Not boring, but not that great, either.

David Schaafsma Zedsdead wrote: "Man, that doesn't sound like Grant Morrison at all.

Oh, man, I undersold the violence! A lot of people die! But for Morrison it's on the wholesome side. .I mean, Christmas!

Zedsdead Ha, I suppose you did. :D

I still found Klaus to be pretty bland somehow. The physical production was gorgeous though.

You must have just re-read Klaus for the holidays...