Barbara's Reviews > Story Trumps Structure: How to Write Unforgettable Fiction by Breaking the Rules

Story Trumps Structure by Steven James

On a scale of cotton candy to Brussels sprouts, Story Trumps Structure by Steven James is bubble and squeak cakes with red onion gravy. Not only hearty, this recipe is whimsy, too. Carrots and parsnips sewn together with butter and red onion gravy.

Story Trumps Structure might not provide steps 1-89 of how to write the best book ever, but it does teach writers to take note of details in their writing. Most of us understand the idea of a story, but no one quite articulates facets of writing like Steven James does. Short chapters help make this book easier reading. However, it's not an easy read because each paragraph offers a new idea (meaning I had to walk away and come back many times).

Another benefit of Story Trumps Structure is the writing style. Steven James offers examples and stories from his life to drive home his viewpoint on writing. Let's just say a few are pretty memorable.

If you want to become a better storyteller and focus less on formula, I think you should pick up Story Trumps Structure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story Trumps Structure.

December 20, 2017 – Started Reading