Diana's Reviews > Beyond Racial Gridlock: Embracing Mutual Responsibility

Beyond Racial Gridlock by George Yancey

Oct 11, 2011

bookshelves: integration, own, non-fiction, race
Recommended for: students
Read from November 25, 2011 to April 24, 2012 — I own a copy

What I liked about this book:

As a social psychologist who teaches courses on prejudice and ethnicity, this book was a helpful corrective to many articles / books that seem to think tinkering with one small piece of race relations will "fix" everything. Yancey had it right--it's too big for us to do alone. I also appreciated his even-handed critique of current sociological and psychological theory about what's wrong with and how to fix race relations. His new model, mutual responsibility, recognizes the part that we all play (minority and majority) in maintaining prejudices regarding each other. Further, his model calls us to address our part in racial problems as the sin that it is.

What I didn't like about this book:

I was left wanting more. He briefly summarizes what the model looks like and talks about what "could" develop from it. However, there doesn't seem to be a clear working out of the practical side of the model. His analogies to marriage in this section also didn't hold. I felt like, since he has experience working with churches who desire to confront racial inequities and move forward, there should be more (any?) practical examples about what mutual responsibility can look like.

Overall, I recommend, especially for students who are studying social psychology, prejudice, reconiciliation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Racial Gridlock.

01/19/2012 page 25