Sam's Reviews > The Price of Mercy

The Price of Mercy by Gloria Oliver

Jarrin was forced to become a gigolo to a lusty baroness. When the baroness finds a new lover she lets Jarrin go but gives him some money and an invitation to the imperial ball. He goes in search of a new patroness. In the garden he meets a woman he thinks will take him in but in the end he leaves her with only a stolen kiss. The next day he is being sought after for treason, the crime, he deflowered the emperor's daughter. His punishment is to live life as one of the twelve, a monster, in the service of the emperor.

This book was such a surprise. I was fully prepared to hate the princess, the emperor, the twelve and everybody else except Jarrin, and instead found myself liking all of them. Well except the bad guy. I liked the fact that Jarrin does not stay in monster form for the whole book. I loved taking the journey with Jarrin as he comes to understand why he was accused and see how he comes to terms with what he is. I love the ending and hope that this is the first of many in a series with these characters. I can't say enough good things about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Price of Mercy.

Started Reading