Lindsay Kendal's Reviews > Deep Screams

Deep Screams by G.R. Holton

bookshelves: reviewed, own
Recommended to Lindsay by: Author
Recommended for: Sci-Fi Fans

Firstly I would like to say thank you to the author for sending me this book to review.

I really liked the sounds of this book, even though I’m not a big sci-fi fan. When I first read about it, it reminded me of Alien, and that is one of my favourite films ever (Alien 3 being the best lol).

The book was very easy to get into, no boring first few chapters thankfully. I hate it when it takes forever to actually get into a story. I did have a few problems at first keeping up with all the character names, but this soon passed.

The story at first is set aboard the Omega, a space station sent out to look for a planet that could be inhabited by humans, since after a war, the Earth could barely sustain life. All is well at first until they see a large red mass. Due to a fault on one of the ships vents, a member of the crew is sent out to fix it, however, he is unable to reach the safety of the ship before the cloud is upon them.

When they pass the cloud the crew member is allowed to re-enter, BUT, he brings something inside the ship with him. An alien microscopic organism that has terrible and devastating effects on the human passengers.

Strange events soon start to occur. A level headed man with everything to live for sudden commits suicide, another, a well respected member of the crew starts to have terrifying delusions, which results in mass murder.

The story them moves ahead six years. Nobody has heard from the Omega for a while and they send another crew out to search for them aboard the Argo, a ship specially developed as a high speed hypercruiser. You meet a lot of new characters, and again I did have problems keeping up with them.

After training and planning they set off. The story did slow a lot then for little while, and I put the book down quite a lot and skim read through some it. When the story picked up again things became very interesting. But I’m not going to spoil it for anyone.

There is quite a lot of action in the book, and it does get you thinking.... What if this happened? What would you do?

My only gripes with the book are...
There are so many occasions where after a sentence you see ******. I read this book on my laptop and sometimes they annoyed me so much, I wanted to throw the computer.

Occasionally the conversations seem dragged out, and the excessive descriptions on what they were doing got on my nerves. They don’t need to be there, some of it is common sense, even for a sci-fi fantasy. Sometimes it meant the story just didn’t flow for me, and that's a big shame, it jumped around too much.

The storyline is very good and the author does need to leave a little to the readers imagination, and not dwell on things that aren’t really that important to the story. Too much of something is just as bad as not enough - we need a happy medium.

They were the ONLY grips though, otherwise this would have been a 5 star read. The writing style was fine and the thought and imagination that has gone into this book is fantastic.

I would recommend this book to ANY Sci-Fi lover.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Screams.

October 11, 2011 – Started Reading