Jackie's Reviews > The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

F 50x66
Oct 11, 2011

In celebration of the upcoming release of the Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie, I couldn't resist throwing out a review of the book (and... you know... if any of the companies that work on this title in any form want to score me some tickets to the movie, I suppose I could take it- kidding, of course).
Voyage of the Dawn Treader was quite possibly my favorite of the Narnia series. The imagery contained within, particularly toward the end of the story, is powerful. I remember reading a section of the last chapter several times just because every time I read it, I just had one of those awestruck moments. Fans of the older Pevensie children will be disappointed to see that they are not in this book. Additionally, fans of the character of Caspian will be saddened to know that his role in the story is very minor. However, despite the sadness of not seeing some old friends from prior books (reviews of those may well come in time), we do have a return of characters such as Lucy, Edmund, and Reepicheep. Additionally we meet numerous new characters, from the Pevensie's slightly obnoxious cousin Eustace to the numerous people the children meet as they sail throughout the world where Narnia is located.
[image error]

There aren't battles to speak of in this book as there are in some of the other Narnian adventures, however, the story is filled with numerous adventures that keep readers at the edge of their seats wondering how our heroes are going to escape. My personal favorite element in the story is the redemption tale that takes place as the story progresses. Christian readers will also delight in some of the imagery used in reference to Aslan, particularly toward the end of the story. However, I believe that even those who are not intersted in the Christian allegory will find this to be a fantastic story of adventure.
Difficult vocabulary and length make the book most appropriate for older elementary and middle school children. Younger children with good attention spans can enjoy this book as a read-aloud, though I wouldn't recommend it as an independent read for most readers under the age of about 9 or 10.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.