Iris's Reviews > The Near Witch

The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

bookshelves: 5-stars, fantasy, my-favourites, read-in-2018, whimsy, wow, impossible-to-put-down, soooo-creepy

WOW! I cannot believe this is Schwab’s debut! This was, in my opinion, one of her strongest works! I mean, maybe not *quite* Monsters of Verity or Shades of Magic good, but close! It was a stronger book than The Archived, and I liked it better than Vicious.

Because wow, this book was spectacular! Everything about it was just wonderful!

Let’s do a list of things I liked, shall we? Because I like lists, and also because there was literally nothing I disliked! (Except for the fact that it was so so good, and a fairly short book, and therefore not long enough. Or maybe I’m just mourning the fact that I have now read all of Schwab’s published works (except for the middle grade series about angels that I still can’t quite believe she wrote…))

- The GORGEOUS writing! I mean, it was by Schwab. What did you expect? But still, it’s worth mentioning, because it was AMAZING!!!
- I sort of love her writing style.
- Okay, maybe more than sort of.

- The creepy, atmospheric, amazingness!
- This book was sooooo creepy! I finished it late at night, and well. That went well for my sleep. (Not.)
- I swear, it was SO creepily written. It gave me shivers, and terrified me out of my wits, but in the very best way.
- Seriously. So creepy. Deliciously creepy. And I LOVED THE CREEPINESS OF IT SO MUCH!

- The world building! It was unique and eerie and atmospheric, and lovely.
- And by lovely I mean the world was terrible, but it was amazingly done.
- Because that’s what lovely means, right?

- The CHARACTERS!!
- I sort of adored Lexi. She wasn’t necessarily the *most* unique YA heroine out there, but she was likeable, and she was memorable.
- Lexi was a bit of a rebel. She didn’t like being told not to do something, and so she had a tendency to do it anyways. She was bright and fun, and a caring older sister.
- Cole was also awesome. He was a sweetie with a tragic past (which, let’s face it, is a wayyyy better trope than a bad boy with a tragic past), and I adored him. He was sweet. He was really, really sweet. But he also had a lot to him. His backstory was super sad, and also really interesting!
- I loved Cole. A lot.
- Like, a lot a lot.
- Wren was adorable. Seriously, she was SUCH a sweet, hilarious child. She was a very no-nonsense five year old, who couldn’t be tricked by silly stories.
- She was the absolute cutest.
- And the sibling relationship was beautiful!

- Then there was the romance.
- Okay, I have to say, it was SO insta-lovey. Ridiculously insta-lovey.
- But you know what? I don’t care. The romance was sweet and cute and I shipped it REALLY HARD.

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!! There’s so much I’m missing, but OH MY GOSH, I JUST LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! You should DEFINITELY go read it! Right away. Just don’t be dumb like me and read it late at night.

***Initial reaction, July 11, 2018***

It is midnight. I am incredibly creeped out. I'm not going to be able to sleep for hours. It was worth it. RTC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Near Witch.

December 18, 2017 – Shelved
December 18, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 11, 2018 – Started Reading
page 34
11.97% "Me: *reads a super heartbreaking book.*

Me: Let's read a Schwab book! This sounds like a brilliant idea!"
page 95
33.45% "In typical Schwab fashion, this book is gorgeous, creepy, and unlike anything I've read before."
page 152
53.52% "LOVING THIS. So eerie. So magical. So unique. So Schwab."
page 250
88.03% "What are you talking about? Totally not regretting my decision to read this so late at night...

This book is just so wonderfully creepy, and I scare too easily... 😂😂"
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-stars
July 11, 2018 – Shelved as: wow
July 11, 2018 – Finished Reading
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: impossible-to-put-down
November 12, 2018 – Shelved as: soooo-creepy

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

☆ Mira ✷ like, creepier than Astrid Dane?

Iris ☆ Mira ✷ wrote: "like, creepier than Astrid Dane?"

I thought so yeah... But then, I didn't find Astrid Dane that creepy personally, so... You might not find this one as creepy, who knows. :)

message 3: by Brianna (new) - added it

Brianna I still have to read a book by this author! I know how much you enjoy her books, and I'm glad you loved this one :)

Iris Brianna wrote: "I still have to read a book by this author! I know how much you enjoy her books, and I'm glad you loved this one :)"

Ahhhh, yes, you need to! I am so completely in love with all her books!

☆ Mira ✷ I’m just mourning the fact that I have now read all of Schwab’s published works (except for the middle grade series about angels that I still can’t quite believe she wrote…)

HAHA THOSE ARE MY EXACT THOUGHTS ABOUT THE MG ANGEL SERIES (honestly I'll probably read it after I finish this and The Unbound just to satisfy the hole in my heart)

Iris ☆ Mira ✷ wrote: "I’m just mourning the fact that I have now read all of Schwab’s published works (except for the middle grade series about angels that I still can’t quite believe she wrote…)

HAHA THOSE ARE MY EXAC..."

Seriously though.
Although I completely plan to read them. Because Schwab.

☆ Mira ✷ I love the sheer contrast between her YA/adult novels where the characters go around killing people and doing other dark things... and this kindhearted "guardian angel" trilogy with such sweet pink covers.

Apparently she signed a book fair deal with Scholastic for them and they sold over 600k copies?! Like WOW Victoria is so accomplished in all ways

Iris ☆ Mira ✷ wrote: "I love the sheer contrast between her YA/adult novels where the characters go around killing people and doing other dark things... and this kindhearted "guardian angel" trilogy with such sweet pink..."

It's sort of amazing honestly...!