Kelley's Reviews > Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend

Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean

Oct 10, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011

I picked up Rin Tin Tin by Susan Orlean after listening to a NPR segment about the book. It might have been an interview with the author. I can't remember. But, I can say that the segment on NPR was more interesting than the book. This isn't a book about Rin Tin Tin and Lee Duncan. It's a book about the idea of Rin Tin Tin and the author's search for that meaning. And, of course, Hollywood.

It does seem like the author did a lot of research for this book and Ms. Orlean does come across as really caring about her topic. It is obvious that there isn't much material to research and it felt like the author had to stretch out the material to make it book length. Pages and pages of the author driving around the countryside of France looking for the bombed out field where Lee Duncan found a litter of puppies but finding an American military cemetery seemed out of place in the middle of a story about a dog. I believe that Ms. Orlean was trying to personalize her search and so her personal interest in the story and Rin Tin Tin but I didn't feel that it worked and just wished she would get on with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rin Tin Tin.

October 10, 2011 – Shelved
December 18, 2011 – Started Reading
page 27
page 43
12.8% "Nacho, my chihuahua, says that Rin Tin Tin was a pansy. She could take him anytime. She doesn't care how high he could jump. She, also, wants a treat now."
page 60
December 26, 2011 –
page 320
December 26, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
December 26, 2011 – Finished Reading

Jayme So what you're saying is the book title and the story don't really go together? I'm not gonna like this book am I?

Kelley There is a lot about the dogs but it kinda goes off the rails after Lee Duncan's death, which is only mentioned in passing. The only dog that is discussed at length is the original Rin Tin Tin. Pretty amazing dog and worth the read just to see the growth of the German Shepard. Be prepared to be mad/sad when you find out what the U. S. military used to do with service dogs after the war.